Ch. 56 - stuck

A/N: when your frustration at not writing anything for so long overcomes your writers block, here's the outcome. It certainly took some time, so thank you for being patient w/ me!
Have fun reading!

Izuku POV

     Return One for All? Was I not good enough?

     His hand had left my shoulder a few minutes ago, and after hearing his demand I stumble back into a desk, needing some sort of support to hold me up.

     "I... I can work harder."

     "I'm sorry, my boy." I feel sick.

     "I understand." I close my eyes and breathe in deeply, willing the tears to go away. It's a hero's job to do what's best for our future. If All-Might believes that Mirio is better suited for the quirk, then I'll respect his decision.

     I picture Mirio in my head, bright smile, determined attitude, quick thinking. Perfect hero material. Plus he already has a second quirk that he's mastered to help him out.

     With a deep breath and what I hope is some sort of pride, I pull a hair from my head and hand it over to All Might, who takes it and folds it neatly in a napkin. Don't cry.

     "Thank you young Midoriya. You did the right thing." He placed one hand in my hair and ruffled it. I nod meekly, still struggling to hide my tears in front of him.

     "If that's all, can I go now?"

     He gives a sympathetic nod, and I turn on my heel, throwing a simple "good luck." Over my shoulder.

     I walk on shaky feet and achy legs through the building, thinking about everything. I lost my mom, and my only shot at becoming a hero. The tears start falling. I lost my home, and the use of my hand. It's getting more difficult to see. I've probably lost my friends too. Even if they agreed to be friends with a quirkless kid it would never be the same, because I'll probably never get over what happened with the league. It's not like I'll see them anymore anyways, because I'll for sure be taken out of the hero course.

     When I exit the building I start running.

     I thought I was going to Shinso but my feet had other plans, most likely telling me I needed the comfort of a parental figure, considering that I ended up outside of the teacher dorms.

     I didn't stop moving as I burst through the glass double doors, grateful that they were unlocked or I would have slammed face first into them.

     I sprinted down the hall, glancing at every door through teary eyes. I almost missed the one printed with {Eraserhead + Present Mic} and ended up stopping too quickly. My center of balance was thrown off and I toppled over, hitting the ground with a thud.

     I let out a pitiful cry, knowing my legs wouldn't even let me get up if I wanted to. It hurts.

     The sound of a door unlocking barely registers in my mind as I struggle to keep my breathing in check.

     "What now- Izuku?" Shota's annoyed voice filters through my ears, immediately changing to confusion when he said my name.

     For some reason the sound of his voice brings in a whole new flood of tears and I make no move to get up from my spot on the floor, other than to curl my legs up closer to my chest.

     "Damn All-Might... hell did he do?... teach him not to mess with my kid..." Shota was mumbling under his breath and he sounded irritated. Based on what I could hear, the irritation wasn't directed at me, which was somewhat relieving. But then I remembered that he didn't know yet that I was quirkless and the tears came back full force, a sob wrenching it's way up my throat.