Prologue - Ava

I can't believe this is happening!

My reflection in the mirror highlights my flushed skin and the rosy glow to my cheeks. My hands are clammy and shaking, and I wipe them on my jeans despite the fact I just washed them. I never thought I'd be nervous to be alone with my best friend, with Ryker, but this is a surreal moment.

"Ava?" he whispers from outside the door. A breathy squeak of agitation escapes me when I hear his voice and I hope he didn't hear it. I'm already feeling like a nervous ninny because he's in my bedroom. He's been in my room before, but we were younger then. We were all so much younger. Now, we're fifteen, and getting caught would mean trouble for us both.

Trying to calm myself, I take a steady breath and wipe my hands again. As I open the door, I also turn off the bathroom light. Only to see him shirtless, lying on my bed, with the moonlight from my window spilling over him. The view of him makes my breath hitch in my chest as I can't decide what's worse – the harsh artificial light that showed his muscular body or the moonlight that highlights it. The edginess I'd already been feeling increases tenfold as I realize how my feelings for him, a very intense crush, are deeper and stronger than I thought.

Oh shit. Oh shit. Oh shit. What do I do? I want Ryker, I've always wanted him, but not like this. Not now. Not at fifteen!

The only part of him I can't see well is his face, something I need to see. I need to know how he feels.

He must sense my unease because he holds out his hand and whispers, "Ava, come here." I go to him without question, my movements almost automatic, as this is something I'm more than willing to do. Sitting beside him on the bed, our hips press side by side into each other. I look down and see it - him - and my eyes jerk up to his, wide-eyed and embarrassed. Sitting this close, I can see his feather gray eyes filled with laughter and the slight blush that covers his own cheeks. I can't believe I just saw --- that! I facepalm and let my hands cover my face.

He sits up and pulls me against him. Softly, he says, "Ava, nothing is going to happen. Not tonight. Not for a long time. Not until you're ready." When I turn my head, my lips brush against his cheek. I go to jerk back but he keeps me in place. "No, stay. Lay down with me. Please."

If I wasn't already in love with him, I would have fallen in love with him at this moment. He pulls me down beside him and places us where we face each other. He keeps his hand over my hip as if to keep me in place. I wish I had the courage to tell him that being in his arms feels perfect, almost like fate meant for us to be together. Mostly, my mind whispers, but I ignore it.

We talk for hours. About everyone and everything. It's like it used to be before age separated us. Soon, my eyes begin to droop, and I start to nod off. My white-blonde hair falls across my face as I lean back to stay awake. His soulful eyes are filled with a worried but hopeful look.

He uses one hand to brush my hair back and gazes into my green orbs with his feather grey ones. He begins, "Ava, I – "

But I place my finger against his lips to stop him from saying something else. Something I want and long for but know it will do no good. I can only hope for stolen moments like this one before we reach the age of maturity. "No, Ry. Don't say anything you might not want to remember in the morning."

Scooting closer to me, he replies, "You're my hummingbird and I'll never hurt you." He brushes his lips across mine with a little pressure before he slowly pulls away. Without waiting for a response, he tugs me into him and starts rubbing my back. Humming until I fall asleep.

*****

"You stupid little bitch. What have you done? You know he'll never take you as a mate!" she screeches at me.