Chapter 9 - Ryker

"Where are you going?" I stop when I hear my brother's voice behind me.

Damn it. I wasn't trying to sneak out, it would seem suspicious, but I was trying to leave without being noticed. I should have known better in this house and with Ryan being dad's lap dog. Looking at the front door I consider leaving without acknowledging him but that will just piss him off and have him running to tattle. I pivot around and ask, "What do you care?"

"Chill dude. I just wanted to know if you were going to see Ava as you plan despite dad advising against it. Plus, how do you expect to see her without him finding out?" His look displays how stupid he thinks I am. As we talked, I had forgotten how weird it was to essentially see my face looking back at me in a scowl.

"Ry, you're a spy for dad. You have been for years. Just let me be. It's my first, well I guess, second day back. In a short time, dad plans to auction me off. I was just getting out of here to breathe. Even dad, the king, will get it." I'm lying out my ass, but I don't give a shit right now. Staying away from her for three years damn near broke me. My only resolve, and the reason I did not return sooner, was the fear of someone finding out the truth about her and being unable to protect her.

Ryan shakes his head at my explanation and contends with, "You have your own spies. You think I don't know about Zeke watching out for Ava while you were gone? It may not have been noticeable to anyone else, but it was to me. Although you better talk to your boy cause he failed." Ryan himself looks as aggravated as I feel about it.

"Ava didn't deserve the gossip after I left. No one deserves that type of bullying from others. Yes, I had Zeke interfere if it became more than enough or too much for her." I give no extra information. Not about how it killed me to know I was the cause of it or that I did some of it on purpose. Not about how pissed I am at myself for just figuring out Zeke's part in it. For doing what he did, or didn't do, because of jealousy.

"Well, how the hell did you expect it to go? You literally left her bedroom after spending the night in there, without her dad's permission and allowed Crystal to see you. Then you -"

"Shut it. I know what the fuck I did." I start to walk away hating that he started this conversion in the foyer when anyone can hear. I also hate how he pointed out my shortcomings when it came to Ava. As her - Nope. Not right now. I don't have time for this.

"Fine. But I'm still going with you. I promise not to tell dad that you're going to see Ava if you let me go. Otherwise, I will go feed him that line of bullshit you just tried to feed me and see what happens." His mouth tilts up in the awful smirk that makes him look like dad. It's bitter and unhappy.

"Whatever asswipe. Get in the car. You would just follow me anyway." I walk into the garage and around to the driver's side door of my blue Ford 150. I climb into the driver's seat and buckle up, barely waiting for him to shut his door before backing out. He may be coming with me but I will show him the whole time he's not welcome.

After five minutes in the car, he finally asks, "So, are you going to admit we are going to see Ava?" I refuse to look at him because I'm driving but also because I don't want to see the smirk lining his face. "Come on Ryker, you know we are."

I let out a loud sigh. "I'm going to the park." I don't tell him that I hope Ava is there. Zeke told me she usually goes there after classes to avoid home. I don't trust Ryan anymore and it makes me angry that it's come to this. That it came to this three years ago. I handled things badly but at the time I didn't know any better. And I was a kid without guidance because dad sure as hell didn't count. He only wanted what he wanted for us.

We ride the last ten minutes to the nature park in silence, each of us lost in our thoughts. I won't be able to talk to Ava about things I want to explain, well some of it, with Ryan there. I can only hope that the presence of both of us doesn't scare her off.