Chapter 4 - Ava

Arriving home, I open the front door and expect to be attacked, at least verbally. But nobody is there, well, the staff should be somewhere, but they are probably hiding from the wrath of Susan. I am not going to curse my good fortune. The longer I can avoid the disappointment from my dad, the contempt from my stepmother, and the hateful words that spew from Crystal, the better off I am. Today has been mentally exhausting and I am not prepared for it to continue.

However, I'm hungry, since I didn't get to finish my lunch, so I head for the kitchen. It's one of my favorite places. Not only because my stepmother avoids cooking, we are shifters and love to eat, but because of the pantry, which she avoids because it's reserved only for staff. The pantry is five hundred square feet and has a hidden nook. It's supposed to be for an extra refrigerator, out of sight for when regulars - non-shifters - come over, but once, when I was little, my dad found me hiding there. He decided to let it be my hiding spot. When my stepmother went out of town for a week, he built me a little bench into the wall, big enough for me to curl into even now. It has pillows and a blanket. Sometimes I even sleep down here. Probably ridiculous for an almost eighteen-year-old, but I do what I have to do to find peace.

I walk into the kitchen expecting to at least find Zela. She's our head cook and task masker in the house. But even she seems to have disappeared. Weird. Still not complaining though. I need and want some alone time.

I open the fridge looking for a diet soda. Most people consider it watered-down cola but it's my favorite. It still tastes and fizzes like soda but without the added sugary taste. Finding one in the back of the fridge, I let out a relieved sigh. Maybe the day is looking up.

Heading for the pantry, I hear the front door open and my dad bellow, "Ava!" Shit. He heard about today. It's close to dinner time and I left the park after hiding there because I was hungry. I'm in so much trouble. I swear if he makes me clean up after Crystal again, I will scream and throw a tantrum a two-year-old would be proud of, teenager or not. Since dad can't punish me in traditional ways, like taking my cell phone or grounding me because it wouldn't bother me, he likes to be creative and do it Disney style. I used to love Cinderella. Now I want Cinderella to just kick ass at the beginning and skip the maid part.

Keeping my tone even, and playing innocent, I walk into the hall to meet him, "Yes, father?" Generally, I would call him dad but when he sounds pissed, it's better to be formal.

I find him pacing and clenching his fists. He must smell or hear me because he quickly turns in my direction. "Ava, why aren't you at the announcement meeting for the pride?" he demands.

Oh, shit. I forgot to check the pride text messages. I'd left school and completely dismissed my phone, throwing it in my bag since no one ever calls me.

"Sorry. I haven't checked since leaving school." I try to sound meek and compliant, but I'm not sure it's working when he gives me a stern look. His eyes are narrow and his lips pinch.

"Well, you need to do it, Ava. You are part of this pride despite you not wanting to be in it." The guilt trip. He is pissed about something but I'm not sure it's at me.

"Yes, sir. When does the meeting start and do I need to ride with you? What is it even about?" Although, after seeing Ryker today, I have a feeling.

"The prince is back and it's his welcome home announcement. If you do not come, you will look weak. I told you that you can't avoid the gossip. Yes, you are riding with me because I came home for you. You will ride back with Susan and Crystal. Do you understand?" Since he made that order as the Beta, I have no choice. He's the only lion, other than the King, that I can't ignore.

"Yes, sir, I understand."

"Alright, let's go. We are going to be late if we don't hurry." He turns and walks away from me, expecting me to follow.