Chapter 13 - Ava

Hell no. This is not happening right now.

The guys are giving me concerned looks but I can't think about that. My body is shaking with too many emotions at once and my skin is chilled despite how warm it is outside. From longing to desire to surprise to a new kind of grief with the knowledge that my mom was killed.

Oh my god! Did dad know? That's another blow to my system. But surely he doesn't. He can't. He wouldn't hide this big of a secret, would he? Does Susan know? And the king...

"Ava!" someone shouts.

Hearing my name, which I think they might have been saying for a while, I come out of my thoughts. The guys hover around me with each one wearing a different expression on his face. Ryker's is guilty, Ryan's is resigned, and Zeke's is surprised. They should try being me and feeling most of that and more.

"Ava, are you okay?" Ryker asks as he reaches his hand towards me but I back away from him. From all of them. I can't have them touch me right now. I don't want to even think about what we were doing just a few minutes ago. Has it been a few minutes? With a quick check on my phone, I realize it's been over an hour since I left the house.

Shit. How long were we touching? How long have I been standing here in shock? Am I still in shock? No. I'm aware of them standing near, not quite touching me, but it's still like an electrical static pulsing into my space.

Without bothering to look them in the eyes, I reply, "No." What else can I say? I went from being alone to maybe finding my mate – or mates – to finding out my mom was murdered. I don't know what to say or think so I stay quiet. I want to go home, to leave them, to leave what they made me feel and what I just found out about behind. But go home to what - more lies? More hate? Instead, I just tune the guys out again as I stare at nothing. I will my mind to empty. But something nags at me... something I should care about. What was it that Ryker said? I replay his words in my head, shuddering as I do so, and then I clasp hold of it –

Holy fuck! I'm a dragon?

"I'm a dragon?" I sputter. The guys immediately stop talking. They all look tense from everything that's happened. Zeke's arms are folded over his chest and Ryker's hands are fisted at his sides. Ryan's the only one that stands with his arms lose, but his tight shoulder muscles give him away.

They glance at one another until Ryker speaks up. This time he has more of a sheepish expression. "Yes, I found out the night my father reprimanded me for that morning with you. Something he said made me curious, so I waited until he was alone with Charles and eavesdropped. It took a few days, but I finally heard him tell Charles to put something away with the other papers. His words were very odd, not specific, and he is always specific on what he wants. I followed Charles to the library and –"

Ryan interjects with a smirk. "To dad's secret stash of hidden documents?"

Ryker rumbles at him, "Yes. By your smirk, I assume you know about it already?"

"Of course, I do. Dad's been grooming me for years to be like him." His words are cocky to goad his brother.

Ryker lunges at Ryan but Zeke grabs him before he can start a fight. "You fucking knew and didn't think it was important to tell us, to tell Ava, about her mother?"

Ryan shakes his head and explains. "I knew about the hidden stuff, but I'm not allowed to be in there without dad or Charles. The only reason you were never caught is that I doctored the security video the night you sneaked in. I knew you must know something and started following you. I was hoping you would come to me, but you didn't." His voice goes soft with hurt and sadness.