Chapter 14 - Ava

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

Ryker has been texting me for days, but I have ignored it and done something I haven't ever done in this house – stay inside without protest. I needed more time alone and let the others think I left but my kitchen nook was the perfect spot being easy to hide in and only Zela knew I was there. Too bad the quiet couldn't last.

Now it's my birthday and dad insisted on a family dinner where I am allowed to sit with and converse with them - something that's never happened in the eight years I've lived here. A dinner he hasn't shown up to. My eyes swipe up to the clock. Thirty minutes late. Big surprise. He insists on having it, then isn't here. Just another let down.

The smell of the chicken encourages me to take a bite. What should be savory chicken and one of my favorite meals, tastes like chalk as I try to ignore the catty remarks being thrown between Susan and the Ice Queen. I don't have the energy to care about their petty insults when at midnight my world will change. A change I'm not sure I'm ready for.

"Mom, I don't think she's even listening to us. How rude!" Crystal huffs. She ruins it when she giggles at the end.

My nails bite into my hand as my fists clench. "You know what. You are both –" Shit. I almost called them lying little cunt bitches. Out loud. This sudden aggression is getting on my nerves. This feeling of not having control is not something I've experienced, and I don't particularly like it. Damn it. I bet it's because of my birthday and the shift.

Maybe I shouldn't have ignored Ry all week. 

I sign loudly in frustration and reach for my water. My throat's been feeling parched more so lately as well and I've got a bad feeling it's for the same reason as my aggression.

"What did you almost say?" Susan's voice is sharp with anger. She knows I was about to say something I shouldn't. Teeth grinding together, it takes a lot of resolve to keep my mouth shut when Crystal speaks again.

"I told you, Mom. Like mother, like daughter." Her blue eyes narrow as she mocks me with her grin almost as if to see if I'll strike back with her mother here.

Slowly, I stand up from my position at the end of the table and approach them. More like stalking them. Like a lion would stalk its prey. But instead of the roar I want to release, I start to let out another hiss. Burning fills my throat and a little wisp of smoke escapes before I snap my mouth shut. 

Oh, shit! Not again!

Without the guys here to help me, what will happen? Is it possible to shift early? My panic releases my anger as I'm frozen where I stand.

Susan's eyes are wide as she stares at me in terror while her daughter's unsurprised but pleased look on her face worries me. "What the –" Susan starts to stutter but dad bursts into the room before she can finish her sentence.

I've never been so glad to see him in my life.

She gives me an intense stare. Keeping her focus on me, she angrily asks, "Robert, what's going on? Where have you been?"

"Not now Susan." Dad barely glances at her before rushing through the dining room and into his office. Slamming the door, we hear the lock click.

They begin whispering so I start to slink out of the room hoping they don't notice.

"Ava, don't think this conversation – or what happened – is over." Her voice has a final tone to it but there's nothing I can do about it, at least for the moment and with midnight approaching.

Without acknowledging her, I continue walking. I hear Crystal's phone buzz, her little squeal of excitement before she can stop herself – must be another boy toy booty call – then tell her mom she'll be out all night. No surprise there.