Chapter 10 - Ava

Still a friend. I'm sure.

Those words repeat over and over in my head as I walk home. Although I let the guys think I left, I'd stayed to listen to their conversation hoping to find out more information. I wish I hadn't because Ryker's claim of being a virgin got my hopes up only to be dashed with his answer to Ryan.

He found his mate. And it wasn't me. It was something I assumed for the last few years but hearing it, quite frankly, was a huge blow. Although I don't think he wanted me to quite find out that way, Ryan was always his sore spot.

But it doesn't matter. This place is the past and I'll be gone soon after my birthday. The Skylar Pride seems to be accepting of outsiders and my hope is that they will accept me, an outcast of the Everly Pride. The changes are going to be difficult because of who I am but it's badly needed and the sooner the better.

"Ava," Susan yells. A quick glance at the wall clock shows I'm late for dinner. Shit.

"Coming," I yell in return. When I get to the dining room, I find my dad, Susan, and Crystal sitting at the table waiting for me. Dad's eyes are turbulent with emotion, Susan's are silted in anger, and Crystal's eyes are filled with malice. I hate this house.

"Well I guess the wayward charge decided to grace us with her presence finally," Susan snidely replies. I ignore her as usual and just sit in my unofficial assigned seat at the end of the table away from the others. It's bullshit that I'm forced to these dinners yet not allowed to actually converse with them. Not that I much want to, but the fact that I can't is just petty.

We eat in silence for most of the meal and just when I think I'm free dad abruptly states, "Ava, from now until graduation you are not allowed to wander. You come home directly from school and that's it."

My hands clench into fists and my chair knocks over when I stand up quickly. "What the hell, dad?" The dad slips but so does the curse.

Dad's chest rumbles. "I told you to avoid the princes, and by extension Zeke, yet today during school and afterward you were seen with them. A few weeks Ava. That's all I asked of you, but you couldn't do it." The disappointment in his voice cuts me but the betrayal of him spying on me, then condemning me in front of them, that is the worst. What the hell happened between last night and today?

My body starts to tremble in anger and hurt. My body feels like it's boiling in fire. I'm so pissed. He wants to start something then I will bring it. "Seriously? Crystal gets to sleep with half the Pride and you say nothing to her. I talk with a few guys and I'm grounded like a kid?"

He stands up quickly, the Beta tone washing over me as he shouts, "Enough, young lady! How dare you imply that about your sister. You were forbidden from doing something and disobeyed an order. You're lucky the king let me punish you, again. I don't know how many more chances you will get. Now, leave us since you can't abide by my rules."

The glee on the women's faces gives me the strength to stand up straight and tell them, "Fuck you, Dad. A few weeks is what you will get. That's it." I look over to Susan and Crystal, the former looks shocked at my speech while the latter looks thrilled at my uncontrolled outburst. "Just tell Tweedledum and Tweedle-dee to leave me the fuck alone. I've spent almost eighteen years obeying you, trying not to cause you embarrassment, but I'll change that if they don't keep out of my business." I walk out of the room without waiting for his reply.

Reaching my room, I open and shut my door, locking it before I walk straight into the bathroom and start my shower. The noise should draw out my frustration and anger at my dad and I need to feel clean after today. I want to wash away my feelings, at least for a little while, because while dad wants me to avoid the boys, I doubt they will avoid me.