Chapter 25 - Ava

After almost being kidnapped twice, my dad's office doesn't feel so impressive or scary anymore. Or maybe it's because I finally do not give a shit about his opinion. Or maybe it's because I turned into a massive ligon - whatever the hell that is - that could eat him.

No matter, I walk with my head held high even as I slump into my seat. Waiting for his lecture. Waiting for the explanation he had hinted at. Just waiting as always, except this time I might leave for good if I get pissed because now I have somewhere I can go.

Sort of. At least it's someone to go to...

He walks in with a weary look on his face making him look old. There even seems to be a touch of gray on his temples. Either I've never noticed, or he gained that look in the last few weeks without me realizing it.

"What's a Ligon?" I ask before he can say anything. However, it's not exactly hard to figure out since I'm half lion and half dragon. Yet somehow, I have a feeling I'm more than that. It could be the someone-wants-to-kidnap-me thing.

He ignores me and drops down in his chair, then reaches for the bottom drawer. The drawer he keeps locked with his fingerprint and a digital password that he changes once a week. I always thought it was Pride business, but now I think it's me.

Not promising if I want to keep my secret and live off the radar in the shifter world.

When he leans back up, he places a folder on the desk and a bottle of Jim's finest. He pours himself a glass, then another, and hands it to me. I've never seen him drink before, and giving me a drink makes me think this has to be worse than I even thought. The fact that it takes more than liquor actually to get shifters drunk has me wondering if there's something extra in the bottle.

I take a sip and wait, knowing he's not going to answer me until he's ready. Expecting a liquid burn and the taste of alcohol, it's a pleasant surprise when it tastes like tingling apples and honey going down.

Fairy Dust.

I knew it! Humans think it's something fairy's have to display their magic. Little do they know it's actually the only alcohol that can get shifters drunk. Unfortunately, it's scarce and costly.

After a sip and another weary sigh, Dad finally raises his eyes to look at me. "I'm sure you figured out that a Ligon is a dragon-lion hybrid mix. Since most shifters have been told that dragons don't exist, they assume that dragons are extinct. Some shifters might assume somewhere there is some ancestor dragon blood, but it's only the older shifters that might have heard of the myths about dragons."

"What are the myths?" His admission piques my curiosity.

"Dragons were different than all other shifters. They had natural, in-born magic, similar to witches, elves, and fairies. They could control the earth, air, fire, or wind. They had the ability to mate with any they chose. Human. Lion. Wolf. Many dragons had more than one mate. Like your mother."

The sip I'd just taken splatters everywhere, earning me a glare. "Mom had more than one mate?" Maybe I shouldn't be surprised since I have three, but any information I get about her is new to me.

He gulps down his drink. "I lied to you the other night. Your mother confided in me shortly after she came here. She explained she was a dragon and that someone was trying to kill her. Her second mate was a lion from another pride, which is how she did get admittance. However, her first mate was a dragon. Both were killed, protecting her from hunters. So your mother came here seeking the protection of the king, hoping that she could hide behind his power and influence. Instead, she met me and found her third mate. It made life more difficult, but that's how we were able to have you. After years of hiding, the hunters must have found her."