Chapter 17 - Ava

When I come too, I know instantly know what's happened. There's no confusion and no pain. I know who I am and that the guys should be near. A feeling of euphoria and wonder fills me. 

I open my eyes. Green, lush trees and the dark sky with twinkling stars capture my gaze, noting that my eyesight is more focused and enhanced, and I realize I am half on my side and half on my back. Shaking my head, my much bigger head, I lean up to sit on my hind-end as a dog would. I ignore my new form - that will wait - to take in my surroundings and discover nothing is burned. 

Interesting. The fire covering my body must have been supernatural in nature. Will I turn to fire every shift? 

Knowing I have to face my new form, I seek out the guys. I have no idea what the guys see, but I need to know what they think first before I see for myself. Searching for them, I notice Ryan first, staring at me with a very intense look on his face. When I look for the other two, they have similar expressions. 

God, I hope everything's okay. I try asking them but all that comes out is something like a whimper.

"Ava, you okay in there?" Zeke cocks his head as his blue orbs roam over my new form.

Am I okay in here?  Like I've lost my marbles just from a shift.

I snort and smoke shoots out my nose. When I laugh at the sight of Zeke jumping, it produces a fire that shoots out my throat towards the guys. They scramble backward to dodge it, which only produces more smoke and fire as I laugh harder. This cycle goes on for a few moments as I play around with how to produce fire until Ryker shouts for us to stop the silliness. 

Spoils sport.

"Don't snort at me," he demands. I roll my eyes, or at least I try. It feels different in this form, but I think I must have because he just gives me a semi-glare with the corner of his mouth titled up. "Now, Ava, how do you feel? Can you try walking to me?"

Of course, I can walk. He and Zeke are making the dumbest comments. That is until I stand and try to walk and almost fall over. 

What the hell? 

My legs are unsteady and I don't know what to do. My knees keep rocking and buckling. Digging my claws into the ground doesn't help me at all. Feeling like a drunk, I finally sit on my butt and snort out smoke again.

"Did you just huff at us?" Ryan questions. I nod. He just laughs. I blow fire at him and watch him barely miss getting his hair caught on fire. The other two laugh so I blow it at them. Seems fair.

"What the hell?" they shout but it's funny to watch them on the receiving end of a hot situation. Especially when the guys pat down their hair to make sure it's not on fire. This just makes me laugh more and I roll over onto my back giggling. It comes out as a purring rumble. Suddenly something flies over my head and I growl. Swatting at it with my claw, I catch it and bring it to my face. I hear more laughter and realize I've caught my own tail.

My tail is amazing. It's a dark, jade green and looks like leaves. It's fluffy though like a lion's tail. It's almost surreal for me. I have a tail but not one I've dreamed of having. I continue to play with it until I hear a whisper. "Do you guys find it hot that she's playing with herself?"

"Dude, you're such an asshole!" is whispered back but they all laugh. Silly boys.

Letting out another rumble, I roll over and try to stand again. My legs are a little sturdier as I slowly walk over to Ryker. I still feel like a drunk though.

"You know, she reminds me of a newborn colt," Zeke observes.

That makes me feel a little better and I instinctively lean down to rub my head against his, but he jumps back from me. Now what? Why did he move away from me? Feeling rejected, I feel tears well up and drip down my snout.