Chapter 13: Five of titans

Outside the cave-like structure, a peaceful treeline rested in the unmoving atmosphere. This calm aura was taken over by two youths hurriedly burst out of the door, their effort hinted from their heavy breathing.

They halted outside the building and they dropped on their knees in exhaustion.

"What now?" Lu asked.

"I was hoping you'd know because you were the one who got us in this mess!" Autumn yelled.

"I'm awake again? Huh? Did you need me?" Esther said, who had appeared, rubbing one of her half-closed eyes.

Five titans forcefully crushed their way outside the building one by one, and the three of them could only stare at the scene in shock.

Esther smiled. "Hehe...I think I'm still dreaming, Lu. Maybe I'll come back when I'm not lacking sleep anymore" she said and yawned, then vanished.

"No, Esther wait!" Lu tried to say, but she had already disappeared and the titans are already approaching.

The two resumed their dash and decided to follow the path instead of straying from it. While it was easier to lose pursuers in the forest thickness, they weren't very confident they wouldn't trip on a root or whatever the forest floor has because of their remaining strength to run, and that would heighten their chances of death exponentially.

"Esther? Really? Did you just name one of the robots? Is that more important than our lives right now!?" Autumn furiously exclaimed.

"No!" Lu said, trying to explain himself. However, he knew he couldn't afford to lose any more of his stamina given the situation.

They made it out of the forest safely, but they both knew that they would not lose the titans this way. They have a way of tracking energy and human souls are thought to be made of energy itself.

"Should we keep running?" Autumn asked. Both of them were thinking of discussing their strategy.

A fireball flew towards them that interrupted their rest and their meeting. They dodged it easily and it left a small crater and a fire where it landed.

"You think we can try to outrun them?" Lu asked.

A massive rock made of ice suddenly flung their direction. They again had to step back a few meters, and the blue boulder unexpectedly erupted into sharp pieces. They stepped back in time but both of them sustained a few scratches on their arms which they used to cover their face, and some also scraped by their legs.

"I think we should run first", Autumn said and started jogging away normally as if she wasn't covered in little drips od her own blood. Lu followed her suggestion as well, with the same demeanor.

The only reason that stops the titans from using unmaker was that none of them can take a clear shot because they would hit each other. Even if the one at the foremost would start charging, by the time it was done, at least one of its allies would be in the way. Eitherway, the party didn't want to wait until it happens on an off chance.

"You think you can make it to Elle before they catch up?" Lu asked.

Autumn shook her head in response. "Either they'll catch up or I'll tire myself out midway".

"Then how much more I?" Lu asked rhetorically. Autumn had already proven to last much more in a sprint, so if she couldn't do it, it was a given for him.

"You thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?" Autumn smiled anxiously. They both knew the only option they have left was to fight.

"Alright, they will decide who to follow. One who gets less will aim to kill, and the other who gets more will aim to survive" Lu proposed.