Chapter 6: Curiosity kills the fox

Lu and Autumn took off to a farm at the corner of the walls where they met the one who posted the bounty. An old man with a straw hat dressed in the same medieval fashion as the other villagers.

"Good evening, sir. I have come to help in the name of credits" Autumn greeted with a smile.

The old man smiled, "Very straightforward, aren't you. Well I do like working with people like you" he opened the wooden gate and locked it after they stepped inside. He led them to a field with small lines arranged in rows and spoke.

"I've already grown old, you see. Plowing has always been the most difficult part for me, and from that you already know your task" the old man turned around. "Do it for me and I'll take care of the rest. The best I could do is set a layout for you to follow to make it easier, as you can see from the lines I've made. Just knock at my house over there when you're done, okay?" he cocked his head to the small building and headed towards it.

Both of them nodded to him as he left them. Autumn started to walk to the farthest line on the field. Meanwhile, Lu was dumbfounded staring at the ground.

The old man just let them in and let them loose without even a hint of worry that they might steal anything. Lu was again told of how blissful life seemed without any idea of what crime is, or at least acting that way. Only Autumn had thought ill of him thus far, and as he observed, she isn't born and raised in the city of Elle, so she doesn't count.

Autumn noticed his state and commented, "If you want to finish early you have to start early, you know?"

"Uh..." he looked around. "We...aren't going to use our bare hands, right? Where are the tools?" he asked.

"What tools?" Autumn asked, taking off a patch of dirt and grass at the end of the marking with a single swipe of her forearm, a motion that a wave of violet feathers followed immediately afterwards. She repeated it and another group of brown and green flicked away along with the purple.

"Oh..." Lu realized in awe. He was still a long way from adjusting to how this world acted as if those physical manifestations of energy had always existed. He was daunted at the idea that the everyday tools of mankind as he knew it were no longer hoes, shovels, and flints and steels anymore. Most of them were replaced by the ever-so-convenient and available feathers.

"Do you know what a plow is?" Lu asked.

Autumn raised an eyebrow "Do you think I'm an idiot?" then continued her plowing.

Lu grunted and mumbled, "What's with the people here and idiots?" then turned away . He could not use his feathers because of its golden nature, but at least he learned that tools were not extinct yet, and in fact are still common knowledge, so he opted to search for one.

Soon, Lu returned with a hoe and a shovel, then started to work on the ground manually.

Autumn giggled at his painstakingly slow progress. "Are you seriously going to use those?" she asked. At this point Autumn was already halfway done with her part.

"You have a problem with it?" Lu asked. It was the best excuse he could come up with at the moment.

Autumn continued to mind her business. "No, but I think you do because you're still going to plow half of the field no matter how long it will take you".

Lu sighed, and they worked without another word.

After a couple of hours, the moon, again surprising Lu with its brightness, already came to rise and the street lamps were lit again. Lu had finally finished his chore and went to the front door of the farmer's house.