Chapter 19: Needle in a haystack

Chrio was the next suspect for Lu and he was sure that it was who Autumn is currently thinking of as well. That leads to the question why.

What would Chrio gain by spreading out rumors of his identity? Lu certainly does not know, but he intends to find out, assuming that she is the one doing so.

Upon returning to the gates, Allan met them with a stern seriousness on his face as he opened a small portion of the gates for them to come in.

"Careful not to come back as late next time. There's an aurum on the loose" Allan tells them.

The pair paused briefly. However, they weren't so keen on sharing it with the guard as to why.

"Aren't you Autumn Cybel?" Allan shrank his eyes to slits as he looked at her features carefully. He then turned to Lu and continued "And you...Booboo was it? Hatu?"

"Lu" he corrected.

"Ah yes, right, sorry. Lu" the guard smiled. "A trillion people pass these gates everyday I don't remember anyone's name at all!" he said in a tone as if he was boasting.

"And you remember her?" Lu asked internally. He was then reminded of the ability of kingdomfolk that Chrio had told him about a few days prior to the present.

"Also," Allan continued. "Madam gaze told me that I would be the first person from Elle who will see an aurum, and tonight we would eliminate the threat. She said that the opportunity was tonight because it would not cause panic and destruction that way, as the aurum would be out of the city tonight. Madam told me that you were necessary for this mission so of course I kept on the lookout. We are to take you with us before we go outside. It's not hard to see why though. You two have a record for defeating five titans at once, don't you? That's a little reassuring" Allan explained and laughed.

Lu clenched his fist and forced a pained smile. He does not know what to expect of the situation. Lu felt threatened, like he was playing a game that was not his own. Gaze seemed to be setting something up against him and nobody can do a thing about it. It was only now that he thought of what he would do against someone who knows the future.

"I'm sorry, maybe not today. We have something else to do" Lu attempted to excuse himself and Autumn and started backing away.

Lu felt a leather wall halt him from behind. Four other people dressed the same way as Allan had appeared out of nowhere.

"Please. Even with this much, I am not very confident with defeating an aurum. I have never seen one before but I have heard stories. None of which anyone likes hearing. That is why you must come with us" Allan pleaded, but for Lu it was difficult to tell if he was pleading or Allan knew what the context was, and is threatening him to come along, with the other guards staring him down.

"If you all agree then it can't be helped" Lu acted as if he were an important guest. "But I believe we don't need her for this one. After all, she just got back and is probably tired from-"

"I assure you, you will need me here" Autumn held on the corner of Lu's shirt tightly, telling him that she knew that he only wanted to get her away from a fight that might break out, but she does not accept him playing hero for her because it was in fact Lu that needed a hero at that moment.

She stood close to Lu and declared, "We will come with you. Please lead the way"

"Thank you very much. Right this way please" the leatherclad guard walked out the very gates he was securing earlier.

"Normally, I would take these keys with me, when I get out, but madam Gaze told me not to and leave them here tonight" Allan did just what he said.