Chapter 12: Reunion with past companions

They have been walking in silence for a good half hour already. Lu knew that if things go on as they are, he won't be able to clear his situation with her, and the worst that could happen because of it is cost someone's life.

Lu didn't want that to happen. Nobody does. That was why he had been thinking about how he would start a conversation with Autumn for a long while now.

When he finally mentally prepared himself, he asked whatever he could to start a little chat. "Hey, uh... Can you tell me about the details of our bounty?"

She held a piece of paper to him and did not say anything. Lu took it and sighed. It was difficult to lead a conversation somewhere when there isn't actually a conversation happening.

According to the paper, they were to map out the far west side of the city because its geography was still unexplored. It was an easy task, but what made it so that they had to do it, was that it required them to go outside the walls.

Lu immediately ran out of excuses to initiate a chat. He then resorted to creating small talk.

"Hey Autumn...", he voiced out. "Do you hate guys who are...shining or something". He first tried the indirect approach hoping that she'll catch on. Chrio told him that she isn't friends with the aurum, so he structured his question somewhat in that direction.

Autumn raised an eyebrow at him. "What do you mean? Is that some sort of hate reference to stars?" she asked.

Lu tried not to laugh. He expected it but didn't exactly know what to expect. The conversation went more stupid than he imagined it. He would do it again to amuse himself, but if he did it again he'd be going nowhere fast.

This time he attempted a little more direct approach. "Autumn...This is something that I can't just tell anyone, but I have this thing that shines as bright as the sun when I call upon it, or wake it up, but I can show it to you and you only", he said. He was hoping that Autumn would understand it as "It's a secret, but I have gold feathers , and of course, I have proof if you want".

Autumn did not respond and only looked at him like he said something wrong. Afterward, there was only that awkward silence, and Lu's gestures telling her to get the point, and Autumn looking at him like she wants him to shut up his weird rambling.

Lu shut silent for a few hundred meters as he though of the best way to say what he intended. His thoughts were so centered on it, he did not notice that they were already on the part where the map ends. It meant that they were already going to start mapping. He realized that he has no more time before they split up to map out the land.

"Autumn" Lu said in his panic.

The girl burst out. "What is it! If you're not going to make any sense just dont say anything, dummy!"

Lu wanted to say "I have golden feathers" out of frustration, but he knew that he just can't say it like that. However, he already called her and he had to say something, so he instead said, "Do you have a suitor?".

The wind blew hard in the dead air as a moment of awkward silence passed. They both processed what had just been said, and Lu himself was surprised with it. They both looked the opposite directions blushing.

"Maybe it's better if we just focus on the mission" Autumn nervously said.

"Right. Got it. I just didn't know how to say it even though I've been thinking about it" Lu said, and dug a deeper grave of misunderstanding for himself. Realizing this, he wanted to turn to correct it. "No! I meant--"

"Just shut up and work already!" Autumn walked away.

Lu reflected on his words. "I really need to work out my speech" he scolded himself.