Chapter 23: All That Fares Well

"Your entry passes have arrived" Chrio told the two who were looking at her curiously, perhaps regarding why she had summoned them suddenly.

"Here is Lu's entry pass for Rema while here is Autumn's for going back home to cybelle" she announced, pointing at two rolled scrolls.

"You were leaving?" Autumn asked.

"Is that bad?" Lu asked back.

"You didn't tell me" Autumn pouted.

"Like you did any better" Lu protested.

"Alright, fair" Autumn shrugged.

The governess coughed to regain attention. "Lu, Gaze had parted with you a speedwagon. A note behind it with her signature confirms it so. It would be out of my personal request that you escort Autumn to Cybelle before you proceed with your own travel".

"Sure! Why not?" Lu said.

"You have my deepest gratitude. You will accomplish your track to Cybelle in 5 days through the vehicle. I suggested you begin at daybreak for winter is coming, and the wagon is not suited for travel on the snow" Chrio said.

"I'll be fine travelling with snow though. I love snow!" Autumn shared and realized she was showing too much passion and recollected herself with a cough and blushed. Lu laughed lightly.

"Winter should come approximately at the period you would arrive at Chrome. Shall luck be on your side and the clouds have not yet grown darker, the kingdom of Artis is not too far away, so you may as well travel to it. The mentioned kingdoms do not require permits as well" Chrio directed.

"If you'd like, we can wait for another ticket for Cybelle and you can stay with us to pass the season. I want you to see my siblings, I'm sure they'll like you too! I mean...well, once they see past the golden feathers, of course" Autumn scratched her cheek with a finger nervously.

"Thanks, but I do not want to cause any more trouble and also get to Rema as soon as I can" Lu declined.

"If you two would indulge me, I have one final request" Chrio says.

"What is it?" Lu asked.

"It is becoming more difficult to produce meat without the animals" Chrio pointed at two sacks beside the open door. "Each of those sacks contain collars. When worn by a wild animal, its senses will be overriden and it will walk back to Elle on its own"

"Is this some kind of animus infusion? Can anyone else do something like this" Lu asked. He recalls Jen also had an animus that can be infused with objects, and it was her manablade, no less.

"Unfortunately, this is only a user-specific feature as we have already tried. Nonetheless, may I trust that you two would still commit to this request even without surveilance?"

"Come on, Rai, don't you trust us?" Autumn poked Chrio's cheek.

"Please refrain from using that name" Chrio pushed Autumn's playful hand away. "Moving forward, this is your compensation for this bounty" Chrio took out two large bags of credits. "If you have no more questions, please see me tomorrow at the gate. The sacks of collars will be loaded onto the speedwagon tomorrow. That is all" Chrio left, as busy as a bee as ever.

"Well isn't this a lot?" Lu commented as he opened the bag and saw the coins swimming among themselves.

"Are you complaining or what? I'm just taking it before she changes her mind hehe" Autumn said.

"See you tomorrow Lu!" Autumn said, taking the bag onto her shoulders, carrying it away happily whistling her way out.

Lu shook his head and smiled. He took his own share and left.

***

Lu took off to the marketplace and bought himself a few sets of clothing in preparation for winter. Afterwards, he purchased rations, preserved in jars deprived of oxygen.

The next day, they met at the gates of Elle, all three of them showing a hint of sadness. It was only then that they realized they were all parting for good, so they stood there wordlessly, unable to think of what expression and impression they would like to give on their final opportunity to meet.

Chrio was the first to break the silence, speaking on a casual tone to speak as herself and not as the governess.

"If I bare children of my own, I will name them after you two. You have both been like my own children, and I'm sorry if I am selfish to think that way" Chrio said.

"We're honored to be the inspiration of the names. Also, I considered you as family more than once" Lu said in all honesty.

"I will miss you. I hope that your children will grow healthy" Autumn said, walking up to Chrio and embracing her.

Chrio then gestured Lu to come and join the embrace as well. The boy obeyed and they locked in a very tight hug.

"May they grow up to be just like you two. Except for your recklessness. I wouldn't want them to come home near death like you two always did" Chrio jested.

They all laughed and broke away.

Believing that they are satisfied with their farewells, Lu and Autumn rode the speedwagon and waved goodbye.

Half an hour right after their departure, the little fox appears, sitting between the two.

Lu thought that he had two hours before she would disappear to ask her everything but Lu would still be travelling with Autumn by then. She would hear their conversation if they talk, but Lu did not want to ask for a break merely half an hour into the ride.

He then made the decision to tell Autumn about Esther.

"Autumn" Lu said

"Yeah?" She inquired.

"Would you believe me if I said that I had an ethereal fox friend that you can't see?" Lu looked at her with a face that could show as much of his sincerity.

Autumn, understanding that it was not a joke, found it difficult to answer and tilted her head. "If you could prove it to me, I would"

"Esther" he looked at her, who seemed just as serious. "Can you shoot that laser same beam you made that night?" Lu asked.

"I knew you'd say that" Esther said and sighed, putting a palm forward, then a small black sphere pulsated at the center of her palm.