Chapter 27: Unexpected Visit

Lu lost count how many times he had called out. Nobody dared to approach him again when they saw his black hair after the rain washed off the white chalk, and not to mention his eyes.

He started shedding tears in his helplessness and swallowed the fact that the people of Hereth were not willing to help them, and because of him nonetheless.

It infuriated him how they could reject someone who had just saved their city at the time she needed help, disregarding himself as well.

He picked her up and hurried to the speedwagon where he gently lay her. He looked back and found that the city was already trying to rebuild their broken walls with all sorts of materials provided by their animus. He was again irritated at how they could be so shallow, but then he scolded himself to be reminded that he had more important matters than being furious.

Lu drove the vehicle as fast as possible, hoping she could get help in Cybel instead. The city was about an hour or two away, so he had no time to waste.

"How long can you keep her awake?" Lu asked Esther

"Not much longer. I only lasted until now since I slept so much recently. Around ten more minutes and I will need to go to sleep" she explained, struggle hinted in her voice as she spoke.

In response, Lu drove even faster. He was driving so fast that he knew he was risking his own life at the speed, but it did not matter to him.

Thanks to the smooth road and the rain, he sped up without worrying about bumps on the road that might make Autumn suffer more pain if they hit.

"Stop...Lu" A silent whisper emitted from the girl behind him. It was so silent, yet he heard it loud and clear.

"We're going to get help! Just hang on a little more, okay?" Lu reassured her.

"We're not...going to make it" Autumn said.

"Lu this is bad! I'm losing all my mana! Tell her to stop wasting her energy!" Esther warned.

"Save your breath! You have to make it!" Lu's voice cracked.

A weak, silent laugh persisted. "Please... just stop... I know this road...more than you do"

"No! Don't say that! You will make it! you have to!" Lu shouted atop his breath and attempted to accelerate faster, but it did not.

"Just stop!" Autumn rose from her seat and shouted, and she coughed out blood from straining herself and laid back down.

The speedwagon, regardless of Lu being against it, had slowed down gradually. It stopped after a short while and finally Lu took his seat, looking down.

"You stop too, Esther. I know you've been trying to fix me since earlier. I need you to listen, so you wouldn't want to go to sleep now would you, friend?" Autumn smiled despite the pain.

Esther's ears twitched and she started crying.

"Can I make a selfish requests, Lu?" Autumn breathed heavily.

"Anything", Lu said, his voice filled with regret.

"Sorry to interrupt your journey to Rema, but I need you to deliver my items back to my siblings in Cybel. They live in a place called 'Dusk's Orphanage', especially the bag of credits. Go get yourself something nice from me as well" Autumn laughed weakly.

"I don't need it", Lu opposed.

"I entrust to you what's left of my family, Lu. As for you, Esther, be a good girl and help out Lu, okay?" Autumn said, and held out a hand in an attempt to stroke the girl's ethereal hair.