Chapter 16: What Really Matters

Lu regained consciousness on a pile of soft, colored sheets. At the foot of his bed stood Esther who promptly jumped onto his bed and embraced him. Even though he could feel nothing at all and he knows she was merely creating space between her arms to create the illusion of a hug, her warm welcome still felt the same as a reception from anyone else he cared about.

"If you die, I'm going to kill you, so don't die, okay?" She cried.

Lu smiled. After she climbs down, Lu finds that his wounds were healed, his body felt light, and he had no missing limbs. Even after double checking it.

Two people chattered among themselves at the door. A cheerful man right outside amused the woman, who seemed entertained enough judging from her smile from ear to ear.

The man stops mid-conversation to point that Lu had woken up. The woman, who appeared to be Chrio after she turned around, found this true.

"Those two really did defeat three titans, huh. That's impressive, but that still is fewer than the four I killed outside last night. Alright then, Rai, I'll be off now".

"Alright, see you later Clay" the governess bid him, and she waved him goodbye cheerfully.

Chrio closed the door and walked closer to Lu.

"Rai?" Lu thought out loud with an inquisitive tone.

Chrio coughed, telling Lu that she does not want to hear a word about it. "That was my husband, the adventurer, Claude. He's the one who found you both lying unconscious someplace in the plains on his way back here." She explained.

"Moving on, would you mind if I asked what happened? I'm sure it must have been something crazy. It took five of the city's healers to patch you both up. Your wounds were nothing to brush off" Chrio said with concern evident in her tone.

Lu started, "Long story short, we finished mapping, then..." Lu stopped midway and remembered the play station for Monitum, which he thought should not exist. He stopped silent for a moment, hesitating whether he should relay the information or not. He does not know the explanation for it either if he does choose to share.

"Then?" Chrio asked Lu to continue from his cliffhanger.

"Then five titans attacked" Lu looked at her.

"Five? I thought the report said there were only three" Chrio asked "More importantly, it is pleasant to know you two are still alive after that. It would also explain how your bodies were when they were taken here", she said. Chrio knew the combat capabilities of Lu and Autumn well. She knew three titans would have given them mere scratches.

"Yes, there were five. We split them up, shut them all down... Then she tried to kill me...and then we were knocked out and then we were found. You know the rest" Lu shrugged.

Esther throws a fit, "Who's this Autumn fellow? Just point her out to me and she's minced meat the next day, Hmp!".

Lu wanted to respond but in the presence of others he could not give Esther more than a look to convey his messages, and hope for the best that she will understand whatever it is he had to say.

"It is alarming how the titans have been banding together lately. Any more of these cases and we might find ourselves needing to invest more on defenses" Chrio said, pinching her chin in deep thought. "I will attempt to send out some of my bounty hunters on a mission to reach out to our neighbors about our situation. Hopefully, it will do any good. On the other hand, what do you plan to do with her?"

"Her?" Lu asked, playing dumb to avoid the topic, albeit both of them knowing that Chrio could see through his facade clear as day.

"Autumn" Chrio said to dismiss Lu's act politely.