Chapter 21: What it meant

They picked up their fallen comrades and limped back to Elle expecting the worst, but to their relief, they didn't see fires spreading on roofs when they returned. In fact everything was in the usual peaceful pace as it was during the nights.

They went to Chrio who looked occupied with paperwork and described what happened.

"What! Why did you not send someone from your midst and called for aid!? Have you no concern for the lives of your comrades that you decided to take a skirmish with a universal predator!?" Chrio fumed angrily as she slammed her fist on the table.

"Madam. It was upon the order of Gaze herself that we do not try to ask for help" Allan spoke.

Chrio's demeanor cooled off as she sat down defeated, massaging her forehead.

"Leave us a moment, Allan" Chrio said softly.

"Right away, madam" Allan saluted in a normal way which Lu found unnatural, expecting a different form of salute. Then Allan left.

"I trust that you have a proper understanding of what occurred?" Chrio asked.

"Sorry to disappoint you, but no" Lu said.

"Then I suppose you have something to tell me?" the governess assumed.

"There is something Allan didn't mention. When Gaze was...absorbed...there was this orb that came out of her body. It seemed that it was the aurum's objective, but I took it before he did and it caused a harmless blast that just knocked everyone away. Do you know what it was?" he explained, then raised a question.

Chrio sat up straight, then thought for a moment. "I do not recall anything regarding this item. It is perhaps something of Reman origin"

"Reman?" Lu asked.

"From Rema. I apologize for not being of help with this matter. Whatever it is, I suggest that you find your answers there, and report your own findings as well. It will serve well with increasing the information about the aurum"

Lu raised an eyebrow, "About the aurum? You mean I'll tell them I'm an aurum?".

"Rema has been known to welcome the topic of aurums. It is not by councidence that it is they who understand the aurum the greatest. And moreover, everything else. After all, Rema is the kingdom of research and knowledge. It is said that it is the destination of those who seek truths" Chrio explained.

The word Rema rang a bell and Lu took out his book and read the author's name, Teri Rema.

Lu sighed. Because of the book, he was also reminded of Esther's wish which he had betrayed from his part of the deal. He would be lying if he said that it no longer worried him when Esther said it was alright for him to do so. He would be lying if he said that her innocent pained smile did not eat away at his mind each day he thought of abandoning his promise to her. And he thought that maybe he could find answers in Rema for her as well.

Given a sign toward a goal he put at the bottom of the priority list, he knew it wasn't his place to reject it.

Moreover, he wanted to learn what an aurum was, what that 0/8 on his wrist and 7/8 on the other aurum's wrist meant, what made someone an aurum, among other questions. It was clear to him that Rema was his next objective.

"How can I get there?" Lu asked.

"That's quite a perilous journey you will fare. We are currently in Faruno, where four kingdoms reside. You will have to travel all the way to Dosara, another continent, where the last two kingdoms, and where Rema dwells. To be brief, it is extraordinarily far away, and that is only the beginning and the least of your concerns. Are you sure you'd like to go there?"

He nodded and Chrio sighed. "I was afraid you'd say that...well, not that you mumbled anything. Come back to my office on the time a messenger comes your way telling you to do so. In the meantime, I will fetch you all you need for your journey ahead. It is the least I can do for the one who stopped an aurum from entering and potentially bringing harm to my city. If there is anything else you need, do not hesitate to inform me"

Lu nodded and walked to the door heading out. Before he could make his way, Allan blocked his way out.

"Governess, this boy is an aurum" He said blatantly.

"Indeed he is" Chrio casually flipped a page on the document she was reading.

"You knew?" Allan walked in.

"Check the records of his contribution to this city. I would say he took a decade's worth of effort off of your task to guard the city" Chrio dismissed him.

"With all due respect, governess, you have jeopardized the lives of people in this city by keeping his existence a secret" Allan protested

"Then what would you have done to the person who madam Gaze trusted with both her life and her death?" Chrio put her hands together, inquiring Allan.

"I see..." Allan turned to Lu and saluted. Then left without another word. It was obvious that he could not accept the current situation but he swallowed all his emotions and let it slide.

"Her life and her death?" Lu asked.

Chrio smiled. "There is an official document that is required to enter three of the kingdoms. Gaze instructed me to obtain one for Rema six months ago, and then, I merely thought she was moving there herself, but she confessed that there was an article she needed to take there, but she will not be the one to do so. Now that she had passed and there is something of hers with you, I believe that you are already able to comprehend the rest. The document was requested half a year ago, and it would mean that it is arriving here soon, no?"

Lu nodded and left, feeling both pressure and ease at the same time.