Chapter Eleven [EDITED]

(Future author) I'm going to be combining and editing some chapters out. Prepare for updates.

~

A warm feathery feeling brushed over your face. A steady thumping rhythm sounded just under your head. One of your arms stayed tucked close to your body while your other was resting on a warm chest. The fabric of the shirt was balled lightly in your hand. You shifted your leg slightly, and heard a light grunt. The source of the noise was using your legs as a pillow. When you moved they were jostled only slightly. 

"Hmm, a few more minutes..." They mumbled, and turned slightly so they could wrap an arm over you. 

You let your eyes peek open at the sound of their voice, and blinked at the sudden light from the tv that was still on. An early morning news station was on the screen. You didn't bother paying attention to the lighthearted news stories, and instead glanced down to where you legs were now being held captive. To your surprise, Dabi had his head resting on your thighs. Both his legs were hanging over the arm of the couch as he pretzeled himself into a comfortable position. To make that even more difficult, Ismene had refused to leave his side. The small cat was curled near his chest. With her there, Dabi still managed to look relaxed. His lips stayed parted from his previous words, and now only small breaths escaped. 

Underneath you was Hawks. He was still in a sitting position. Behind him, his wings were positioned over the arm of the couch, just as Dabi had his legs. One of Hawks' hands rested on the small of your back, and the other on top of your hand that was still on his chest. His head was tilted into the back of the couch, mouth hanging open as light snores left him. 

You didn't remember falling asleep here, but it wouldn't have been a surprise. The exhaustion you'd felt the past few days would take a toll on anyone. Not to mention being curled up with the two men didn't feel uncomfortable. They had done a good job at making you feel safe. 

Even so, your walls were building themselves back up. Anxiety creeped through your spine, radiating out to the rest of your body. You gently pulled your hand away from Hawks' chest, and out from under his hand. It had a loose hold on yours, so the motion didn't stir him awake. Neither of them were awoken by your tiny attempts of moving, but Ismene became hyper aware. Her small head popped up, and blue eyes locked onto you. 

"Shh," you said lightly as you let your eyes glance around the living room for your shoes. They were still by the front door next to your bag. 

A sordid feeling washed over you as the idea of leaving without a proper goodbye made itself present to you. Being propped up slightly with both eyes still locked on your shoes, you didn't notice when Hawks' snores stopped. He closed his mouth, and used the hand on his chest to rub one of his eyes. Only did you notice when the hand on your back moved in small, swirling motions there. 

Your face spun to glance at Hawks, and found that both his eyes were lazily hanging open. The two of you were inches apart. His breaths could still be felt on your face and down your neck as you stared over to him. His hand never stopped the gentle motions on your back. The gesture kept you calm somehow. 

The man in front of you didn't appear to be fully awake. The tops of Hawks' cheeks and nose were slightly flushed when he realized you were staring back at him. "Am I still dreaming?" His words were nothing more than a whispered jumble to you, but to him having you like this was all too reminiscent to the dream he'd been having. His hand moved, and before you could protest wrapped gently under your chin. The one on your back had stopped moving, and now pressed gently, but firmly into the skin there. 

Pads of Hawks' fingers traced your jaw, while his thumb brushed over your bottom lip. He pulled it down only a bit. You were frozen in place. Hawks' was being soft with every touch. The gold in his eyes was deep, and still laced with tiredness. There was another emotion there, one you couldn't place because of how foreign it really was to you, but still released butterflies into your stomach.