Chapter Sixteen [EDITED]

TW: mentions of scars and body image issues

This chapter is kind of long, trying to move along to the next story point.
-
-
-
Hawks was startled awake when your phone began to ring. Your back was to him, but you seemed to still be in a deep sleep. He pushed the vivid dream from his mind, and reached across you to grab it off the charger. On the screen lit up a name he'd never heard of.

Tamaki.

Hawks didn't want to intrude, and answer your phone when the two of you weren't even that close, so he shook your shoulder a bit. At first you just groaned, and swatted a hand at him. It wasn't until you realized your phone was ringing did you force yourself to sit up.

"Hello?" Your voice was monotone as you answered. There was a very nervous one on the other end, but Hawks couldn't make out much of what he was saying. He leaned onto his hand, body still propped and staring down at you. As you continued to talk casually with this boy on the phone, Hawks fingers danced over the hand that rested on your stomach. Still preoccupied by Tamaki, you let him take your hand in his. He played with your fingers as if they were some small, delicate things. You were almost distracted by his gentle touch that you didn't hear what Tamaki had just said.

"Can we walk to class together? I don't like the messages she's been sending me," his voice was panicked. You could imagine the purple haired boy tugging at his roots. "Maybe if she thinks we're dating or something she'll back off."

"Sure," you told him, shrugging even though he couldn't see it. Tamaki was a sweet boy. You didn't want him to have to suffer through this woman's wrath. "I'll meet you in an hour or so."

Tamaki agreed before hanging up and getting ready for class himself. Hawks was watching you with curious eyes, but he didn't pry for information. He just let his hand rest on yours now. The other held his head up, so his eyes could continue to trace over you.

The entire night, Hawks stayed still. It was as if he was scared to overstep around you. He had already messed up once, and he didn't want to make the same mistake twice. You were very reserved, and he wasn't sure how to break down those walls. But you weren't pushing him away. You let him keep his hand on yours, and you even stared back at him trying to figure out what it was he saw in you. What made Hawks, an all star hero with more than enough in his life, be so interested in you?

"I should get ready now." You swung your legs from the bed, and stretched. Hawks watched you from behind, and let himself fall into the pillows. His blonde hair fell away from his face, curling and tumbling onto the grey sheets. You were so at ease right now. Your movements didn't seem guarded, and you didn't feel the need to glance over your shoulder. A part of Hawks wanted to believe it was because he was there.

There was that moment when he took notice of your body, just as Dabi had. Unlike his friend, he didn't ask to touch the scars, but his curiosity did grow. The exposed parts of your legs and arms all had some sort of marking. Some were similar to the ones he had, now faded on his wrist and ankles. Hawks wanted to assume they were from the institution you went to in high school, but he didn't. He hoped you wouldn't have had to gone through something similar.

"So, who ya' meeting?" Hawks asked as he watched you lock your door. He was leaning against the railing, eyes never leaving you.

"Why do you care?" Even with such a blunt question, your voice didn't come out as defensive or harsh. It was just as curious as he was. The two of you began a slow walk in the direction of the bus stop.

Hawks gave you a shrug. "Maybe I'm jealous. I do like you after all."

A few people passed, and you two were pushed closer together as the crowds became thicker. Hawks didn't mind, but he noticed instantly how your shoulders tensed up as soon as someone else got closer. He let two fingers tap your arm lightly before he put an arm around your shoulders, attempting to comfort you. Despite everything you'd tried to force yourself to believe, your body began to scream with excitement at his touch. Hawks made you feel secure, whether you wanted to accept that or not.