Chapter Fifteen [EDITED]

~~

Five Years Ago

"Want a smoke?"

A dark figure approached from behind a tree. The rain had subsided, and a soaked Hawks stared up at the man. There was a black mask covering the lower half of his face. He wore an oversized black sweater. Hawks didn't recognize him from the Todoroki family, so he couldn't be visiting Toya's grave, but maybe he had been seeing someone near by. 

"I... don't smoke." Hawks lied, and pulled his eyes away from the stranger. He glanced back down at the tombstone, and let out a small sigh. The man didn't leave and instead stood beside Hawks as he lit his cigarette with a small blue flame. A bit of annoyance caused Hawks eye to twitch slightly. He was trying to celebrate his best friends birthday, and some creep wouldn't leave him alone. "Don't you have somewhere better to be right now?" Hawks growled. He was trying to stay calm, but this day always brought him down. He would drink, and find some pitiful excuse as to why he deserved to live. 

The stranger sucked down on his cigarette, and shook his head as a puff of smoke was released. "Nope. Just stopped by to see an old friend." Hawks didn't want to question further, and let the silence build between the two of them. Of course this weirdo broke it. "You look like you could use a drink." 

"That's because I could." Hawks gold eyes moved over towards the taller man, and eyed his cigarette again. It hung between his lips where the now purplish skin was being exposed. "Why are you talking to me? Don't you know who I am?" Hawks recognized the charred skin now as one of the notorious LOV members. 

Dabi shrugged, and gave the blonde a smirk. "What? Gonna arrest me bird boy?"  He even leaned down to his level so the men's faces were inches apart. 

Hawks fist clenched at his sides, but the blue eyes peering into his held a different message than the cocky attitude. They were almost soft, and begging Hawks to see something more in him. "No." Was all he said at first, before looking away. "Today's my day off, so you going to buy me that drink or what?" 

Dabi let out a chuckle, but nodded down towards Hawks. "Follow me, hero."

'Mr. Emon's' 

The sign above Hawks puzzled him. This wasn't a bar, and instead a ramen shop. Hawks turned to Dabi with an annoyed expression on his face. "I'm not hungry." Hawks muttered, and paused in his steps. "And this doesn't look like drinks."

"Trust me," Dabi winked, pulling open the door. "This old man makes some killer cocktails." 

"Cocktails?" Hawks mumbled to himself in disbelief. For some reason, he still followed this villain into the shop. It was just your typical ramen bar. There were a few tables against the opposite wall, and a little to-go station, but mostly just the bar. Dabi pulled up a stool, and gestured for Hawks to take a seat. "Since when are you a gentleman?" Hawks asked. He took the seat, but leaned his head back to get a look at Dabi. He had now completely lost his mask, and took the seat to Hawks left. 

"There's a lot you don't know about me." 

Before Dabi could shoot another wink in Hawks direction, an older man Hawks could only assume was Mr. Emon appeared. It was almost like he popped out of thin air. "What can I get you boys?" Hawks was looking around, trying to find some kind of menu, but there wasn't one. He had no idea what to say or order.

"Two whiskey sours to start with and some fried dumplings." Dabi ordered for the blonde, and surprisingly gave the older man a quick smile. Mr. Emon nodded, and disappeared into the back again. Dabi leaned forward into his palm, and locked eyes with Hawks. "So, who were you visiting today?" There was a tiny smirk playing on his lips, but Hawks couldn't decipher it. There was more Dabi knew about him than he'd like.