Chapter Twelve [EDITED]

I'm making a playlist for this story as well. It's going to be titled 'Too Close To The Sun' on my Spotify. My username is Jillie. There's only a few song on there so far, but I'll be adding more soon. <3

~

Toya wasn't at school. Hawks felt abandoned. In class, he began to slack off and ignore any training that was suppose to make him better. Eventually, the commission got fed up with no progress. They pulled Hawks from UA, and he was to continue training only inside headquarters. His routine became stagnant. Each day he went to train, studied, trained some more, and then would be in his room where he got meals every five hours until bed time. The facility felt more like a prison than a home for especially gifted kids with special quirks.

Everyday Hawks would write to you and Toya. He never mailed anything. He didn't want to try. Instead, he had a full journal of letters he wrote. Some were better than others. Most consisted of him asking why. Why the two of you left him, and why he felt so powerless.

There was no way he could search for you. The commission didn't let him leave unless it was under close watch. And even during those times... there was never any sight of you or Toya.

Not a single trace.

"Where are you..." Hawks caught himself whispering to himself. The moon light streamed down into his room from the window above his desk. His arms were crossed on top of it, back slouched forward, and his chin tilted up to stare up at the stars. The wings on his back twitched slightly, wanting to flee and fly away. The sky above looked so inviting. The full moon reminded him of you, and the quirk he only knew very little about. Around him was nothing but a slight whirring of the A/C, and the occasional footstep of someone in the hall.

There were no bars, or chains binding him to this place. The window moved, and unlocked. He could leave if he wanted. There was nothing stopping him. Hawks felt himself stand, but it was as if he stood outside his body. Across the room, he watched himself climb up on the desk, and open the window. It slid up easily. His body acted on it's own, swinging it's legs out the window. Both hands kept him safely propped against the windowsill so he didn't fall. The ground was about seven stories below him.

For so long he'd only been allowed to fly in the training room and at UA. The stars filled his vision again. One hand moved, as if to reach up and grab one. Like before his wings twitched, wanting to feel the pull of the air. Every hair on his arms stood on edge. Not once did Hawks think to turn and look back at his room. He was mesmerized, and in love with the freedom he felt in those few minutes.

But as always, there was something that pulled him back into the room.

Hawks felt like a ghost. The room was empty, Toya was still gone, and he had nothing left to look forward to the next day, or the one after that. There was nothing for him but to continue training, and become a hero. Maybe then he could find you two again.

~

Hawks' stared at the door after it shut behind you and Dabi. He immediately stood to exit the room, and ran a hand down his face. Regret coated his face as he entered the bathroom and made eye contact with his reflection. Staring back at him was a man with tired eyes that held onto too much confusion. There was only a two week period that you two had met, and became friends, but that had to be enough. It was enough for him to remember you, at least.

Dabi wouldn't understand, Hawks thought as he splashed some cold water onto his face. If anything, his friend would tease him for trying to be a "player" if he admitted to trying to kiss you. Hawks wanted to play it off as that. Pretending to be interested in nothing more than sex and games was his thing. His staple.

He splashed his face one more time, and reached with eyes closed for the closest towel. The rough fabric rubbed his face, and he held it there for a moment longer before finding the courage to lower his hands. When he did, and looked at himself again, there was nothing but disappointment on his face.

"Let's find her."

The empty promise he made Toya years ago rang in his ears. Now he was dead, and you didn't remember either of them.

Hawks felt the pain in his hand before he'd realized what he'd done. His reflection was now scattered across the broken pieces of the mirror in front of him. There were shards of glass in his knuckles. Blood oozed out around them in slow, warm motions. "Fuck!" He cursed at himself, reaching for the same towel to press onto the wound. Pain shot through his hand as he tried to pull the small shards out, still trying to control the bleeding. It was slowing a bit, but he knew it would leave some nasty scars.

Somehow, he managed to get it safely wrapped and clean on his own. Being in a hospital for something as silly has some cut knuckles wasn't going to look good for a pro hero. He had to stay strong, and not show his weaknesses.

His reflection was scattered about the bathroom as he began to clean the shattered pieces. Each time he caught a glimpse of himself, he couldn't help but be disappointed in the man who looked back at him.

~~~

Wowza! It's been a while, but I hope you guy's like this :3 Next chapter will be Dabi and Y/N.