Loki: Mirror Image

"Loki Odinson, Prince of Asgard, the time has come for your Naming. Are you prepared to take up the mantle I shall give you, to bear it to the best of your ability?"

"I am," Loki answered proudly.

His excitement was audible, yet controlled. You smiled. He had been looking forward to this moment for decades. You returned to your parchment, recording every word.

"Then let us begin. Do you swear, as Odinson, Second Prince of the Nine Realms, to comport yourself always with dignity and honor?"

"I swear."

"Do you swear to uphold the laws and commands of your king, to serve and obey him as best you are able?"

"I swear."

"Do you swear to defend your people and your king, at the expense of your own life and liberty?"

Loki didn't miss a beat. "I swear."

"Then, as Allfather of the Nine Realms, King of Asgard, and head of the Aesir, I bid you rise: Loki, God of Mischief, Lies, and Fire."

You nearly dropped your pen. A quick surreptitious glance at your best friend revealed the shock and horror in his green eyes.

It was gone in the next second, replaced by his usual stoic mask as Odin placed a golden, horned helmet on his head. Loki rose as commanded, bowed to the Allfather, and turned to face the people. They applauded politely, as stunned by his title as he himself was.

                —

The feasting began immediately after the ceremony. Strangely enough, while it was supposed in Loki's honor, no one noticed that he never appeared.

Except for the Queen. Frigga noticed at once that Loki was missing, but out of sympathy for him said nothing. She would not force him to be present if he wanted otherwise, not after the embarrassment he had just suffered.

She was going to have words with Odin tonight.

You skipped the feast as well, going instead to find your friend.

You found him sitting on a stone bench in a secluded alcove deep in Frigga's gardens, staring out at the setting sun. He didn't notice your approach, which was in itself a sign that he was distraught. It had been a long time since anyone was able to sneak up on him, especially without trying.

You sat down beside him. He stiffened but said nothing.

"I like the helmet," you commented after a full thirty seconds of silence. The sunset made the gold sparkle brilliantly. It was an... interesting shape—two horns curved backward, like a goat.

"Mischief and lies, (Y/N)," Loki spat harshly. "Mischief and lies."

"And fire," you added.

Loki scoffed. Being strangely sensitive to heat, he wasn't overly fond of fire. Odin knew that.

Knowing how hurt and disappointed he was, you scooted closer and took his hand. "You can talk to me, Loki."

His voice was strained, hurt and anger surfacing in a hiss. "I always knew Thor was... well... Thor, but I never thought it would lead to something like this!" He kicked a chunk of grass and dirt. "Now I'm branded forever."

A tear of disappointment slid down his face. He turned, hoping you wouldn't notice. You saw it anyway.

You also saw something else.

Shame.

He was ashamed of the image that his title conveyed.

Your compassion flared for your friend, burning as hot as the flames he now governed. You knew the hurt went deeper than just his new title. It trailed back through years, decades, centuries of being slighted and brushed off, scorned and dismissed. He wasn't Thor, the big and powerful Crown Prince, and had been made to know it. He'd hoped that tonight, by gaining an honorable title, he would gain just a fraction of the respect that everyone naturally doted on Thor.