Mixtape: Pt. 4

I trudged back to the car in silence. My dejection was palpable, as were the concerned looks that Luke constantly aimed in my direction.

"Tom? You all right?"

I hardly heard.

Until now, I hadn't realized how much I'd been hoping to patch things up with (Y/N). I know I'd promised Luke, but...

Surely the fact that I'd show up after so long had to mean something to her.

Right?

'I can't heal the wound when you keep picking at the scab.'

Apparently not.

"Tom?"

Couldn't she see that I kept coming back for a reason, though? I didn't want to seem clingy or possessive, but I simply didn't want to give up. I didn't want to give her up. Our relationship meant too much to me. She meant too much. I fell all to pieces without her.

'I can't heal the wound when you keep picking at the scab.'

I stopped. Something about her wording struck me as odd. Then I caught it.

'I can't heal.'

Can't.

Can't?

Cannot.

Denoting inability. Attempts resulting in failure. Usually multiple attempts. Who says "cannot" after only the first try?

She wanted to move on. She was trying to.

Which only meant she hadn't.

Not yet.

"Tom?"

After five years, she hadn't.

Not yet.

Was there hope, after all? Even a little?

"Tom!"

I blinked back to reality, bending so I could see Luke in the driver's seat. "Yes?"

"You've been standing ankle-deep in snow for five minutes. Come on; we have to get to the hotel."

I sighed and took my place on the passenger's side.

"Also, I hate to bring this up—right now of all times—but the studio called while we were in there. If you can make it today, they can still squeeze in your audition. But they need an answer ASAP."

I lowered my eyebrows at him. "I told you to cancel." How could I think of another job while (Y/N) was in the hospital? Especially with the thought I just had?

"They only want to make sure you're serious about letting this go. It's probably the biggest role since you landed Loki. It would boost your career." Luke pulled out of the parking space.

"Tell them I'm serious," I said. "I don't want it." Looking out my frost-covered window, I watched as the hospital slowly disappeared behind us. "I have something bigger in mind."

(Y/N) was released eight days later. I understood she'd been assigned an excellent therapist (a Counselor Deanna Something-or-other) and was on paid leave from the laboratory for an indefinite time.

I cleared my schedule for the rest of the month, meaning my next two weeks were free. As far as work went, anyway. No one was happy with me. Directors complained, fans gossiped about "what could possibly be going on?", and Luke gave me his frustrated-nanny-attitude.