Loki: Sacrifice

"NO! STOP! LET HIM GO!"

You scream and shriek at the top of your lungs. You know it's useless, but your panic won't allow you to do anything else. Your heart clenches, throbbing so painfully that you can hardly stand it. Thrashing, you try to escape the harsh grip of your guard as he pushes you down.

"Stop it!" Your voice cracks as you scream again at the monster standing amid the debris. Your guard kicks you into silence, the savage blow meeting your ribs. You hunch over from the pain.

The Titan frowns, less from anger and more from disappointment. "It seems you have a following here, Asgardian," he says slowly, as if contemplating the situation. "A brother and a woman? So much to live for. If I were you, I would have chosen my actions—and words—more carefully."

You straighten up, shooting your guard the most hate-filled glare your weakened state can muster.

Loki sucks in a ragged breath. "You will never... be... a god."

One last snark from the God of Mischief. He would always have the final word.

The look on Thanos' face spells certain doom. Any leniency he would have possibly considered was now forgotten.

At your side, Thor tries to yell despite his muzzle. His guard kicks him quiet, as yours had done to you. You look over at him, worried, but he nods that he's fine. Which is a lie, of course. Neither of you are fine.

Not while you're watching Loki's final moments play out before your very eyes.

Struggling pointlessly, you are forced to watch as Thanos chokes the life out of Asgard's younger prince. The smoke from the surrounding fires burns your eyes, yet you can't bring yourself to close them, to look away from the scene. You wanted to. Oh, you wanted to! But like a moth to a flame, like opposite polarities of a magnet, you're drawn to it. Your mind is recording every moment of Loki's struggles, every second of his torture.

You would remember it to your dying day.

'(Y/N).' The voice you could listen to forever whispers faintly, weakly, gaspingly in your agonized mind. You can only imagine the extent of his suffering if even his telepathy is affected. '(Y/N), I love you.'

The finality of his words hits you like a blow to the head from Mjolnir.

He's saying goodbye.

"NO!" A tortured shriek escapes your throat. You knew it was coming, but you refused to accept it. Tears stream unchecked down your grimy cheeks, the salty liquid mixing with at least a day's worth of blood, sweat, and dirt. Your mind scrambles. There has to be something you can do—anything—this can't be the end, it can't—you'd just gotten Loki back, he couldn't leave you again—!

'(Y/N), I swore to Thor, and... now to you. The... the sun—will—'

Then you hear it.

Crack.

The sickening crunch, the gruesome grinding together of bones, the strangled choke.

The sounds seem to echo throughout the entire ship, louder than any thunder could ever hope to be, ingraining themselves in your memory, ensuring that you would hear them until the day of your death. Like breathing, like living... like dying... they are now an involuntary aspect of your life.

Then silence.

Only when your guard slaps you hard across the face do you realize that you've been shrieking at the top of your lungs like a madwoman. You ignore the taste of blood on your tongue as your screams die into wracking sobs.