Chapter 3

Nesar sits on the couch in the drawing room as usual. He's still reading a book, but as soon as I come inside, he closes it.

Thick brows, and low chromatic black eyes nudge me beyond the lens of his glasses. Even though I'm seeing his face again in just two days, he always has harmonious and colorful features that make me feel refresh.

He quietly stares at me as he takes off his glasses and puts them on the table. Stiffed eyes, closed mouth, very unlike himself.

Did something bad happen?

I shut the door and open my mouth.

"Hello, Nesar. Have you eaten?"

There's no answer, not even a greeting.

What is it?

Nesar looks at me with an unchanging, cold face, and I don't know why, but I wonder if it's my fault.

I watch his face as I circle near the door.

"What are you doing now?"

"Huh? Oh, just... I thought this area is cooler, so...."

"Did you have a bad lunch? Don't talk nonsense. Come and sit down."

Like a good listener, she throws herself to the seat in front of him. As soon as he meets her face, he mimics Katrina's expression that she often shows when she's caught doing something during dinner.

In short, it means that she was being noisy.

"What's going on, Nesar? You don't usually come this often! Oh, you must have missed me, right?"

She has only returned two days ago so she wasn't sure what happened.

Her eyes then sparkle as she looks at Nesar, but his expression's like he's seeing a scene that he couldn't unseen.

His eyes turn colder.

I quickly let go of my gaze as I feel myself drained from our eye contact.

"Kate, I heard you were reading a book?"

"A book?"

His question reminds me of the moment when I was drinking tea, right before I met Rick.

"Yes, you're right. Rather than reading it—I opened to read it."

"Why all of a sudden?"

Instantly, I'm caught in a sudden agony. It might seem like a trivial question, but when Nesar's in a bad mood, he's not one to speak on trivial subject.

What should I say? I have to be a lady so I can find you a lover? That's why I started reading?

It's an answer that would hurt Nesar's pride, so I try to put my useless brain to work and think of a better reason. "Because I want a girlfriend."

The atmosphere in the drawing-room becomes calmer.

At the same time, Nesar examines my face step by step. He really looks at it carefully, making my cheeks tingle from his persistent gaze.

I quickly look away before the cold sweat forms on my face. Still, his gaze stays.

"Did I hear you wrong? Did you just say that you want a girlfriend?"

"Oh, yeah. I only hang out with my brothers every day, so I don't know how to hang out with girls. Therefore, I read some liberal arts books related to tea party etiquette."

"What kind of change of mind? You told me a week ago that you don't need friends or anything else. You said that I'm the only one you needed to stay even if the world collapses."