Chapter 9

It turns out that there are more than violet-like eyes and a soft smell of the summer sun similarities between him and Karen. Although their appearance is a little different, the vibe they give off is very similar. There are indeed reasons why he's loved by the ladies. Pansion is a true knight that even Lockhurd couldn't even be compared to.

"I'm Lady Ka—Karen Entera's—"

"Ah, I remember. You were the honor guess from the Egelot Family that Karen invited."

That's it! I want to clap my hands and shout, but every time I open my mouth, only a trembled mess of stuttering words come out.

"Th—that's right."

Thanks to him, my voice sounds like a lacking child. Damn it. I lower my head, feeling embarrassed and hopeless at the same time.

"I'm afraid that I'm being rude, but it must be because of Lord Lockhurd that you were in the imperial castle the other day."

Pansion continues to use the honorific with me even though he seems to be the older one. Did a man like this exist in the world? The men around me were always random, busy teasing, and kid-like.

I calmly take a breath and open my mouth.

"Yes, I visited my brother, Lockhurd, because I was curious to see him training. After a few days of thinking, I decided on it, but the training schedule was on a private day."

Pansion laughs little. It's a formal laugh.

"He is one of the most outstanding knights of the Empire. Therefore, Lady Egelot can be proud of Sir Lockhurd. If you have time, hold his hand once. You will quickly find out how hardworking he is."

You want me to be proud of Lockhurd? The sky can fall, and I will never be proud of Lockhurd. It's the same with Rick and Eden. Well, Eden could be different.

I couldn't answer that I would do so, so I try my best to find the a rational, yet feminine answer that he deserves so that the conversation doesn't end awkwardly.

"I see. Unfortunately, Brother Lockhurd isn't here. ... ... Well, if it's okay, can I take your hand instead?"

Pansion's expression slightly misaligns as if his composure has cracked. He stares at me uncomfortably as though he has heard nothing and coughs a little.

"My hands have many scars and calluses, so they will look ugly."

His expression remains unchanged.

Did I fail to communicate again this time?

However, he seems to be very proud of the countless traces of training in a knight's hands. Mentioning Lockhurd's name and telling me to hold his hands didn't sound like something he said simply because he had nothing else to say.

I just want to get to the root of that proud feeling, but if you're stupid, then you have watch what you say...

"Am I too presumptuous? Please decline if you are uncomfortable. You don't have to force yourself to respond."

I think it was my mistake. Strange, I think Lockhurd have led the conversation in this way. Pansion, who's been locking eyes with me, soon opens his mouth.

"... ... No. It won't be uncomfortable."

He comes three steps forward, which narrow the gap between us to one step apart. Pansion up close is much larger than Nesar. Thanks to this, the reality that I am a stocky fifteen-year-old daunts on me quite clearly. Is this because of the distance of ten-year age gap between us?

Standing in front of me with a somewhat awkward face, he quietly reaches out his right hand. The palm of the knight training with the sword is crushed much more than I've expected. As he has said, of course, there are small scratches and calluses, and the lower part of the thumb is twisted as if it has received a big shock.

"Here, doesn't it hurt?"

I point at the joint of the thumb with my finger. At my question, he loosens his hand as if nothing is wrong.

"It doesn't hurt. It's been more than 7 years, so it's okay now."

"Aren't you uncomfortable?"

"If it was uncomfortable, I would have given up my job as soon as possible."

I take a quick look at his face. Unlike the awkwardness before, now it's as calm and quiet as the moment when I first met him and he gave me gypsophila. In response, I lower my head and slowly grasp his finger. It isn't rough, but the hard and uneven skin is clearly felt under the palm of my hand.

Wow, his hand is huge. I stretch out the other hand to take a closer look. The shape of his hand's very interesting to me, who has only seen soft, soft, and warm things. At least, it was until Pansion pulls his hand away.

Suddenly, I lift my gaze up from my empty grip. With his eyes wide open, he's looking down at me.

"Was it unpleasant?"

"No, that was not the case...."

Then why do you take it away? I quietly put my hand up. The dark blonde hair sway in the wind.

"I didn't know that you'd really touch it."

"Would it have been better to ask for that too? Can I really touch it?"

There's no answer.

Is this a sign of refusal?

As if it's uncomfortable for him to look at me, he looks away his eyes and reaches his hand out again. I say in a firm voice, wondering if he would take it away again.

"I'm really going to touch it, okay? Since you gave me your hand, that means it's okay, right?"

"... ... Sigh. Yes, please touch it."

With permission, I grab his wide hand. He turns his head toward the chrysanthemum flower garden. Is it embarrassing? Unlike his large side, he looks delicate or maybe he simply dislikes my request. Pansion's reaction makes me feel uncomfortable, so I gently grab his ring finger then release it.

"I'm sorry, sir. You can turn your head back. If you are offended, I apologize."

I think this method is wrong. Again, I shouldn't be using guys like Lockhurd as an example. I wanted to kick the me of the past, who only buried her head into literature books all the time because those thick book didn't say how to treat nobility.

As he stretches his shoulders as an expression of reflection, Pansion shakes his head.

"No, that's not why I turned away. It's just a little—"

He trails off at the end of his words, closes his mouth for a moment, and then looks around.

"It's Karen's voice."

I straighten my shoulders and focus on listening. I couldn't hear her voice, but I could hear the sound of oncoming footsteps. Pansion, who has been silent as if in thoughts, slowly opens his mouth again.

"She hasn't been getting along with the other girls of her age easily, but after receiving your reply, she's been looking a lot brighter for these past two days."

"Karen?"

With his head up, he slowly swallows his saliva. I watch his throat bobs up and down.

"Yes, my brother and I have not been taking good care of Karen because we've been busy with our work. My brother said that we shouldn't bother her because she seems to be doing well, but I was worried that she was hiding her problem since she's so kind. It's very fortunate that Lady Egelot has come."

I remembered the attitude of the maid that I had witnessed at the headquarters of the Knights Templar.

I'm doing well. Karen.

Her wall of kindness isn't that low, but it seems that she couldn't inform Pansion of the unfair treatment she's receiving.

Why? Is it because the duchess' eyes are on you?

"Lady Ka—Katrina? Where are you?"

The sound of the shoes comes from right next to us, and not too far away. Because the fence is decorated with chrysanthemum flowers high above the head of his head, it seems that she will not see Pansion. I look at him as he does the same.

"I have to go. It was a pleasure to meet you, Lady Egelot. Please have a good time."

With a short bow, Pansion disappears into a garden full of yellow petals.