Chapter 14

Nesar took off his coat, threw it over the bed, and headed to the window. The thick snow falling from the sky hit the dark ground. Do you enjoy horseback riding in this kind of weather? No matter how much he thought about it, it wasn't a normal hobby.

"... Fire?"

In the castle's garden, which was filled with snow and darkness, something was set ablaze. Nesar squinted and pressed his forehead to the glass window. He wasn't mistaken. There was a red and white fire beneath it.

[Flung open]

"Ah, the weather really took a turn. How did you get here, though, Nesar? I thought the wagon would be overturned."

The owner of the voice is Lockhurd. Nesar stared intently without answering. Shortly thereafter, the crazy friend approached his side.

"What are you looking at?"

Lockhurd, standing next to him with a shaky step, narrowed his eyes and stared out the window. In response, Nezar pointed to the brightly burning ember with his chin.

"That—what is it?"

Lockhurd put his forehead on the window. Then a short sound of laughter came out.

"My youngest sister. I thought she was quiet today. Turns out she was preparing for that."

"That thing?"

He looked more closely at the area around the fire. He didn't know if it was an illusion, but there seemed to be white, blond hair fluttering nearby.

"It seems that one of the dolls she sleeps with was dirty, so the maid secretly washed it. She hates people touching her stuff. However, the maid did not know that the seam would break during the wash, so it turned into a rag."

Nesar couldn't figure out what the relationship was between the destruction of her favorite doll and lighting a fire in the middle of the garden.

"She heard the story of where the dead are cremated. Anyway, the maids will come down and drag her up. It's not Kate's first or second time doing that."

Kate. I didn't know that he had a younger sister, but it was a name that a woman would use.

As Lockhurd said, a scuffle broke out near the torch sooner or later. Now her face was clearly visible. Open eyes and clenched lips. In addition, the chubby cheeks protruded dissatisfiedly. He couldn't tell if her face was red because of the fire or if she couldn't overcome her anger. What was certain was that, unlike other aristocratic ladies, she was not an ornamental plant.

"What are you talking about as if you aren't siblings?"

Seated on the sofa, Lockhurd said in a grim tone.

"We are only siblings. We don't actually say hello. She hates people."

"How do you know that when you don't even say hello?"

"Even if I try to get closer, she'd bare her teeth and bite me. Is that considered people-friendly?"

"That little girl can bare her teeth?"

"She bit me, Nesar. I feel like the bite mark is still on my finger from yesterday. Anyway, don't go and touch her for no reason. Kate is so sensitive that even small things get her stress out."

The fire died down. Nesar had no way of knowing whether or not the girl was dragged back into the castle or if she escaped further because his vision was again darkened. Not long after, Lockhurd called out to him after he scattered cards over the table. He intended to soothe the late night's boredom with a card game, but Lockhurd nodded off throughout blackjack and then went to his room.