Chapter 17

"Well, I don't like it. It's too dark here.... Can't we just go together?"

"No. You've just gotten better, so if you get rain on, you might not be able to get up again. Your flu might come back, so we have to be careful. I'll be back in 20 minutes."

Nesar lightly patted her head and removed his body. Katrina looked up at him with all expressive eyes, and after a long period of silence, she forced her head to nod. A squeaking noise escaped from her thin neck.

"Yes. Okay."

He removed his coat to cover Katrina's shoulders. He'd get wet anyway, so it didn't matter whether he wore one layer or two layers. As he opened the door, Nesar did not forget to remind her. The door was filled with moisture as if it had been submerged in the sea.

"Lock the door. If it's not me, don't open it."

After staring into her turquoise eyes, Nesar ran into the heavy rain. With the snow and dirt melted by the rain, the condition of the road was only half as messy. Still, he was able to drive a carriage in this condition. The snow that had piled up to the ankles disappeared because of the rain.

After a long run, Nesar was able to reach the castle, looking like a drowned mouse. His body was heavy, as if he had a sandbag tied to him. As soon as he stepped in alone, he threw off the tie. Katrina's exclusive maid, Daisy, who was standing next to the stairs with her feet rolling in motion, jumped up. Her face was distorted in half with anxiety.

"Your Majesty! Where's Lady Kate, who went out with you...?"

"She's avoiding the rain at the wooden house at the entrance of Dimania Forest. Do you know where that is?"

"You mean the forest keeper's log cabin? Yes, I know where that is."

Daisy nodded hastily.

"Good. A carriage and blankets need to go over there now...."

"Your Majesty."

A tall, dark shadow appeared to the side of Nesar. He raised his chin dripping with water and pointed it toward the ceiling. The one who called out to Nesar was Ron, his well-dressed aide.

"The Emperor has sent an edict."

"... Now? Suddenly like this?"

Ron lowered his upper body slightly at the bewildered question. He whispered in a small voice that could only be heard by Nesar.

"I think it's simply a hello to ask how you're doing in Egelot. His edict has come down to this place, so I think you should show at least some sincerity."

"What is the least amount of sincerity?"

"What's the big deal? You should at least reply to the letter."

Damn it.

Nesar swallowed a sigh and grabbed his forehead. It was said that unfortunate things tend to happen at the same time, and he wondered if that was why the letter arrived at this moment.

"By the way, what happened to you? Did you play outside with Lockhurd?"

Nesar ignored Ron's words and gestured toward Daisy. She approached him calmly as she noticed the envoy waiting from a distance.

"I told her not to open the door unless it is me, so go there and bring her back. Tell the coachman to be careful because the road is tough."

"Yes."

Daisy, bowing her waist, fluttered her skirt and moved away. He made a rant that he would come to pick her up, but to think that things were turning out like this. Her eyes, trembling in fear of being left alone, were still clear in his mind. Still, it was fine if they could bring Katrina back without any problem.

"I guess someone's still out there. Is it Lockhurd?"

"No. Katrina Egelot."

"Katrina? ... Ah! You're talking about Egelot's youngest daughter. You must have gotten a lot closer then. If you're really worried, shall I go pick her up?"

"No, she'll be scared if she sees your big frame."

Nesar went up to the bedroom and opened the edict without washing. As Ron said, nothing was written on the parchment. With a towel, he just brushed off his hair and immediately picked up a fountain pen.

It took a terribly long time to fill one side of the parchment, perhaps because of his urgency. Next to him, Ron was talking nonsense while his body was shaking from the cold, and he had to write neatly. From one to ten, he hated it, but somehow, he wrote a reply and delivered it to the chief.

"Then, I'll be staying here for about a day..."

"You can just go."

"Already? You want me to move in this heavy rain? Don't you think it's too much?"

"Don't whine. Take a breather in the reception room on the first floor then."

"If someone sees you, they might think you're Count Egelot."

Nesar left his bedroom and headed to the hall. The carriage must have left awhile ago, so Katrina should have arrived by now.

But, something was a little weird.

"Your Majesty...!"

Daisy was crying while holding a handkerchief in front of the tightly closed gate. Nesar stopped breathing and ran to her.

"What are you doing here? Didn't I tell you to follow the carriage!"

"Well, well, Mrs. Morcada doesn't have a carriage right now...Both Master Eden and the Count have left the castle, so all the carriages of the family are outside the estate... She told me to wait for Eden, but it's unknown when he will return...."

He couldn't understand the words properly because of her gibberish. Nesar slowly exhaled and calmed his beating heart.

"So?"

"That's why I said to have a carriage send—"

Daisy finally cried. Nesar quickly turned his head and checked the wall clock in the hall. 9:30 in the evening. Since he arrived at the castle at 8:10, Katrina had been left alone for nearly two hours.

At the moment, Nesar felt anxious. Two hours was enough time for the short candle to melt, and time flows very slowly in the darkness that cannot be seen even an inch ahead.

What should I do?

Nesar wasn't even angry with the maid. This was because they didn't know what to do right away.

"What's wrong, Nesar? Why is Kate's maid crying in front of you?"

It was then. The fact that Lockhurd walked near him at a heavy pace.

The horse carrying Nezar and Lockhurd was constantly running through the harsh rain. His hearing had already been dulled by the sparse thunder and the sound of the horseshoes. Fortunately, the horse's speed was not comparable to Nesar's running.

When he arrived at the forest keeper's cabin, the door that should have been closed was wide open. Nesar got off the horse in a hurry and ran to the door. It was only a shadow, but he could see a small figure next to the open door. Katrina was crouching as if she was hit by a violent rain.

"Katrina?"

There is no answer from the girl who sat down on the dirt with her legs folded together. Nesar turned his head, exhaling a rough breath. Lockhurd, who had walked around, tossed him his raincoat.

"Quickly, wrap her up and put her on the horse."

Nesar wrapped Katrina's body in his own and Lockhurd's raincoat. Clearly, the rainwater falling down was cold, but the body in his arms was as hot as a fireball. Nesar had to remind himself to breathe because of anxiety.

The three soon arrived at Egelot Castle. Daisy climbed the stairs along Nesar with swollen eyes. Lockhurd couldn't see where he was going, but it was Katrina, not him, that mattered right now.

About an hour later, a doctor arrived from outside the castle. A white-haired old man brought in by Lockhurd from the city.

"For now, you've done everything you can. Miss Daisy, go out for a while..."

How often must the doctor have visited for him to memorize the maid's name?

When the maid and the doctor went out, only the owner of the room and Nesar remained in her bedroom. Unlike the rain outside, Katrina's room was warm. After the doctor left, he felt helpless. Nesar reached for Katrina's forehead and touched it. He was so distracted that he completely forgot that his whole body was covered in dirt.

"Really... You are really good at making people worry."

He headed to the bedroom with a heavy body. When he soaked in a hot tub, it felt like he was melting from head to toes.

After he was cleansed, he went down the stairs again. In a short time, he didn't know what kind of condition Katrina would be in. Daisy's mind and body were exhausted from weeping all day, so she wouldn't be able to help him take care of Katrina. If so, the only one left that could nurse her was him.

"That bitch."

When the sun rises, he must get rid of that maid. He could think of many ways to get rid of her, but what would be the best...? As an Imperial Family member? Was that the most suitable?