Chapter One

Luke's perspective.

It was beautiful in the forest, but nothing could compare to the green eyed beauty hiding within its grasp. Climbing high in a tree was an easy thing to do until I realized it wasn't. My brothers kept failing to catch up with me on many occasions to where I have realized not many can. That I am safe from others as long as I am close to the stars, reaching for them just as much as the trees themselves. The little girl sitting in the tree across from mine doesn't seem to think the same. I look to the ground trying to see what she does, but whatever must be there holds no significance to me. The green of the forest floor changes to green eyes as I glance over at the girl. Startled, the tree branch shakes as I readjust my grip. I didn't know what held the the girls focus on the floor earlier and I wish I did not know now, but those eyes of hers I have seen before. In the mornings while I brush my teeth and at night after a shower. I cannot hide from a mirror, not like I hide from others. Her eyes are full of want, want of a better life, pain not too far from the surface because she knows fates too cruel to listen, and defeat surrounds them; for her imagination runs on a steady track towards death.

The ceiling of my room is the first thing I see after opening my eyes, my hands shaking the first thing I feel after waking, and the tracks of tears are the last to leave. The dark room is lit with the light from the sun creeping through the curtains. I stumble my way across the hardwood floors into the bathroom. That girl was tiny, I thought. Too small to reach the gaps between most branches. Flickering on the light bathes the room in its harsh glow and blinds me for a moment. I grapple around the bathroom towards the sink. Reaching out to grab my toothbrush, eyes still closed, I grasp something sticky, wet, and cold.
"God dammit! Gabe!" I shout. My partner in crime has betrayed me and all for a fairly pathetic prank. I continue on with my morning routine while the toad sits croaking in the corner. I took longer than usual with my thoughts, wandering back to the beauty every so often. Not too long after something delicious can be smelt coming from downstairs. North is making breakfast, I hope it is pancakes with chocolate and marshmallows. A content sigh leaves my lips at the thought. Cupcake would love them. I know she would. My thoughts come to a crashing halt. That sad beauty has probably never tried pancakes. As if she could even enjoy them with being so wrapped up in her thoughts. That dream from earlier replays through my mind once more and with each second the day turns worse.

"Breakfast is done!" North yells from the kitchen. The whole house rattles with it and if the neighbors weren't up before they sure are now. Footsteps clomp down the stairs followed by the voices of my brothers. Opening the door to my room I make my way down to join them, toad in hand.

"Oy! Luke, get your ass over here," Gabe pats the chair beside him. He better watch his back. Smiling, I sit down, set the toad loose, and dig into the food at the table. Pancakes, eggs, toast, salad, bacon, and orange juice galore. Feeding fourteen growing boys is like feeding a small army. Some of my brothers are in their early twenties and others are seventeen like me, but that doesn't stop them from acting like the little boys they are at heart. And it's not like I can judge as I have been told I'm the worst of them. What people just don't seem to understand is that everyone needs chocolate every so often. Who am I trying to kid, all the time. Cupcake needs chocolate. Grabbing some eggs and toast I munch on them as Gabe rambles on about blue being so last season, or was that red? My brothers have settled around the table chatting and laughing as we enjoy the morning. North's permanent scowl turns into a frown with a glance at my plate. He turns back to Silas as they continue their conversation in Greek. Mr. B stands with a flick of the wrist to check the time.

"Mr. Taylor senior, Mr. Griffin, and Mr. Henshaw Junior go grab your bags and head out," Mr. B said. "Be safe." Looks like breakfast is over. Nathan, Corey, and I head to North's black jeep. Corey slides in the back with his computer in hand while I slide into the passenger seat with my lock picking kit in my pocket, leaving Nathan the driver's seat. The Ashley Waters mission is starting to get interesting.

Arriving at the facility takes a very long hour and ten minutes. Trees surround the grey bricked building with guards posted at all entrances, some take turns rotating around the building.

 It's not like they're going to make it easy for you, I thought with a grumble, I just want to go home. Corey has set up his computer stuff all over the back seats of the car typing away in a code I don't understand as he runs through everything. 

"Luke, it is time," Corey mumbles to me, barely looking away from his screen as he does so. I look over my gear to make sure everything is set as it is meant to be. Picking set. Check. Flashlight. Check. Nathan, I glance over my shoulder to see him coming my way. Check.

"Let's get this over and done with," he said, clapping his hand against my back.

"Aye, aye Captain!" I shout back, giving him a salute. "Ready when you are Captain." Nathan just rolls those blue eyes of his and walks off. I hurry to him knowing that playtime is over.