Chapter Two

Corey's perspective 

Time was ticking. Luke and Nathan had set out for the facility ten minutes ago and still no word has reached me concerning their positions by way of the comms unit. They were meant to check in as soon as they gained access to the interior of the building. This is just a simple recon mission nothing Luke hasn't done a million times before. I converse with myself calming my racing heart that only beats for my family. Everything will be okay.

"Corey?" Luke calls out softly, but that doesn't stop my body from jerking at the disturbance in the air.

"Yeah Luke," I listen intently to the comms ready to help if need be. "What do you need?"

"Nothing, just letting you know we're in. Sorry about the delay Nathan and I ran into an unwelcomed surprise," Luke replies smoothly.

"More like they got Luke," Nathan joins the conversation. Snickering can be heard following the statement as Luke whisper shouts at Nathan. I chuckle knowing it isn't often someone can sneak up on the man. 

"Alright, enough of this. Where are you guys?" I asked.

"Living the dream up in the beams," Luke said. "Staring at fat guys playing a losing game of poker."

"Luke is up in the ceiling running along the framework while I am just around the corner," Nathan clarifies.

"Thank you, Nathan," I respond, the amusement in my voice can be heard as clear as day as I try not to chuckle at Luke's antics once more. I type away on my computer tracking Nathan and Luke's movements to see that they are close to the office. Only a hallway, a door, and a room away. I check the timelines of the guards routinely checking off of the building waiting for the last one to leave. Five guards are heading back. Three guards are left. Two guards have stopped for a chat. One guard grabs the others by their necks and leaves. Zero guards remain.

"Alright guys, move it or lose it. We don't have much time," I tell them.

"Sir, yes, Sir," is all that is heard before the red dots on my screen start heading to the office. It's all up to them now.

Grabbing Double Identity I start off on the page I had left off at. The book had taken my attention ever since I saw the cover and I have yet to put it down. As time goes on only the shuffle of footsteps can be heard through the line as I get deeper into the book. The sun is starting to set when panicked breathing comes through. Yelling and cursing. Furniture shatters and guns going off are my only way of knowing we're screwed. I hack into their security cameras. 

"Nathan! Luke! Behind you," I warn them. Luke grunts, throwing the guy a punch as a loud crunch signifies the guy's broken nose.

"Thanks," Luke said.

"No problem. Take a left down the hallway then take another left. That will lead you to their emergency exit," I direct them out. The last guard down for the count.

"Alright, on our way," Nathan said. They start moving out and the breath I didn't know I was holding leaves me. My body is tense. I can feel it and I know I will not be volunteering for this job again anytime soon. Shout, Nathan. A bang, gun. And a scream, Luke. He can be heard just before my screen goes black. No! No! No! This cannot be happening. They won't die, they are strong and smart and they can't die. Hands shaking I set my computer to the side and move into the driver's seat knowing we will need a quick get away. Not a second later and the Jeep's door is swung open. Luke gets shoved in and Nathan follows suit shutting the door with a bang.

"Drive," he yells and I don't waste a second pushing the pedal to the metal. The speed jerking all of us in our seats and Luke let's out a groan. 

"Hang in there," Nathan said, putting pressure on the bullet wound at Luke's shoulder. "We'll see Doc soon," is all that he says before everything turns radio silent. It only took thirty minutes to get to the Academy hospital as I drove like a bat out of Hell, but it wasn't fast enough. Luke's blood covers Nathan and the back seats of the Jeep. Nathan and I trip over our feet pulling Luke out of the car and yelling for help. Nathan's booming voice is heard and nurses, doctors come rushing over with a gurney in their grip. Three men lift Luke onto the gurney while another starts doing CPR. And off they went. Nathan and I keep pace with them for a while before they enter a room and we are pushed away. Luke cannot die now. He hasn't tasted all the chocolate in the world. North would go ballistic and then not even Silas will be able to calm him down.