Chapter Nine

North's perspective

"She's coming! She's coming!" Luke practically bounces off the walls as he shouts, knocking over Mr. B's favorite vase.

"What are you going on about now?" Marc grits his teeth and asks. Luke continues to skip around the kitchen with a BLT in hand, that is until he trips over Marc's outstretched foot. I shoot him a glare.

"What?" Marc asked, pulling a face of utmost innocence. "He was going to knock something else over sooner or later, so it might as well be himself." All I can do is sigh, reaching up to drag Luke off the floor. With the turn of his head Luke's hair moved away from the nape of his neck to reveal an ugly looking bruise.

"Lucian, where did that bruise come from?" I asked sternly. Luke goes still. I had been watching over him like a hawk these past few days and not once did he do something that warranted a bruise of that caliber.

"Um, nowhere," he mumbles. Like I am going to believe that one. 

"Luke!" He flinches.

"Sang got it from Malcolm when he lifted her up into the wagon," Luke said quietly, but I heard him all the same. What is he talking about? Marc has a disappointed look on his face. And from the look in Luke's eyes mine must hold a similarity as wariness weighs me down. 

"Luke, you should know better-" I started before Luke interrupts.

"She's real! I know she is and she's coming home," he spoke in desperation. "Malcolm's bringing her!" He shouts with regained excitement. For some reason I believe him. It has been a long time since one of Luke's imaginary friends had shown themselves, but one could never be too cautious.

Marc looks at me, "who is she Luke and how do you know her?" He questioned, seemingly on the same page as me.

"I learned of her years ago through Malcolm. We are both in his pack and he said she is to be a new friend. With the pack bond she, Malcolm, I, and the rest of the pack are connected in a way that we may share memories, feelings, and can take on another's pain for a better survival rate of the pack." I can only stay silent and listen. 

"Malcolm isn't like other wolves and anyone who finds him is lucky because it was him that found them," Luke looks winded after his speech. Marc stays stunned in his spot. Speechless. And so am I. With Luke's past he could be wrong, at least that is what I am telling myself, but my gut says otherwise and it has never led me astray. After all, it led me to Luke. So I take a chance for Luke and myself and the girl in Luke's drawings.