Chapter Thirteen

Luke's Perspective 

She is standing mere feet away from me. Staring at me and I stare at her. All these years feeling the steady presence of her in the back of my mind, drawing comfort in the harder days. My knee kept ramming into the school's desk as excitement hit my blood stream. I wanted to go over there and hug her and talk with her and never let her go, but the classroom of students are already gossiping about us. So I wave her over to sit at the desk behind me, but in front of North. 

I turned immediately as she sets her bag down, her hair the shade of sunlight as it hides her face from view. My fingers itched to pull it back behind her ear and see that sweet face of hers. 

"Hello," my voice comes out a little hoarse. My palms start to sweat as I readjust my grip on the chair's back. She looks up at me and grins a disbelieving smile. Malcom and the pack was our only connection to each other with the land between us and there was never much hope of meeting in person. we would talk through the bond for hours while the pack listened before Malcom made us break it off for the day; worried the pack would become too irked with the chatter. The pack bond did have its faults, but with her here now it is not so bothersome. 

"Hi," she whispered. It is all I can do to listen to the teacher ramble on. I reach my hand back every once in a while for her to briefly interlock our fingers together. The fear of losing her too great. 

When the class is over Sang and I are the first to leave with North trailing behind us. His unsettled state is not lost to me and I will talk it over with him later. All I can do is hold onto Sang as a feeling of rightness settles deep in my chest. 

Back at North's jeep we all three congregate in a circle waiting for the rest of my brothers to arrive. The wind was blowing quite strongly as it passed by. The fascination in Sang's eyes as she watched the trees dance was endearing as she surly has seen it before back in Illinois. I had yet to release her hand and my younger brother noticed. Sang sees North and gives him a smile, comfortable in our company despite North's intimidating demeanor. I really should have better prepared the guys for Sang's arrival, I thought, glimpsing the rest of the group walk over from the corner of my eye.  

"What took you so long?" I shouted. From the distance Gabriel flips me the bird yet still huddles into his sweater. Everyone laughs. Even Sang. 

"Alright boys, lets get home," Mr. B said, his famous millimeter smile on show. North, Brandon, Victor, Sang, and I all pile into the jeep. Mr. B, Marc, Raven, Corey, and Sean head to Mr. B's car. And Kota, Gabe, Axel, and Silas find Kota's green Honda. By the time the house came into view the ache in my shoulder had made itself more pronounced. Once in the house most of the guys scatter to their rooms or the kitchen to not overwhelm Sang. North takes the lead and I follow him to our room, still sharing a room since I got shot about a week back, and Sang follows me. In the room North proceeds to his desk to tinker with some car designs he has been working on. I decided now would be a good time for a house tour. I tugged on Sang's hand. 

"Come on, lets go," I said. 

"Where are we going?" she asked. 

"Just a tour of the house is all," I said. A twinkle of mischief shown in her eyes. 

"Okay." I take her first to the basement where the game room is located. I show her the pool table first. 

"It doesn't look like a pool," is the first thing she said; criticizing it. I have to wait a moment before I respond, afraid I'm gonna laugh and hurt her feelings. 

"No, I suppose it does not. The name is misleading," I watch as her brow crinkles, picking up an eight ball. 

"What is this?" 

"That is one of the balls in the game. The colored ones you try to score in the pockets," I pointed to the different ones, "using only the white ball and the wooden stick thing. I'm having a hard time remembering its name," I muttered, a bit embarrassed. Sang waved it off. 

My hand grips at the nape of my neck as a nervous tick and without thought I used my right hand, the one attached all the way to my right shoulder. Man, that hurt. Sang briefly touched her own shoulder before reaching up and grabbing my hand back to our side. A look of concern followed the dip in her brow and tug of her lips. 

"Thank you," I whispered. She just squeezed my hand twice before calling it a day. I feel a little guilty putting a pause on the tour so soon, but Sang assured me she was in need of a nap. The bruises under her eyes were a testament to that. I am aware on how exhausting it can be to move the pack, or even just to sleep in a new environment. It was not hard to believe her, so I took her to my room where I had painted the walls pink; her favorite color. 

"This will be your room to use," I told her. I went and gave her a hug and she accepted gratefully. It was only when I went to walk out the door that she started to panic.  

"Stay," she yelled quietly. 

"Are you sure?" I asked, wanting her to be comfortable. She nodded. 

"It is hard to sleep without the pack around." I understood. The pile of warm bodies was easy to get used to and became a comfort. 

"I remember," I said, "it took me a while before I could sleep on my own when I left the pack." I smile at a fond memory. 

"I made North and my Uncle sleep in the living room with me for months. It drove them nuts." Sang smiled with me, imagining it. 

"Thank you," she said, her gratitude was clear. 

"Anytime." I turned off the light and closed the curtains before climbing into bed. Back to back we fell asleep listening to each others breathing. I had never slept sounder.