Chapter Four

Mr. B's perspective 

Luke was acting differently. When getting prepped for surgery no chocolate was found hidden in his clothes. He didn't jump at the chance to have pancakes when North made them the morning before his mission. And he was caught unaware by guards many times during his mission Nathan had said when giving his report. Luke's odd behavior set my brothers on edge. Kota was sitting in the chair closest to the window counting by even numbers, almost to fifty. Gabe was silent as he sat to the right of Luke. His usual profanities nowhere to be heard. North wasn't much different, but if you took a second look you would see that the frown on his face holds a deeper depth than most other times. All my brothers were worried and that was obvious. I cleared my throat, gaining their attention.

"Luke needs to be watched," I said. A few heads nod in agreement while others who have been gone for the last day or so on missions stare on with their brows furrowing in confusion.

"What do you mean?" Axel asked. Sean answers.

"Luke's mental state has been clashing with his normal state of mind." Everyone seems a little puzzled at this, but a flicker of understanding shines in all of their eyes.

"So he counts chocolate," Raven said as if it was a simple fix. Corey looks at the Russian from his seat on his lap unsure about what he means.

"He does not need chocolate, Crow," North understood.

"How you'd know," Raven said. "Maybe it is extremely what he needs, East."

"Exactly, Raven. It is exactly." Corey corrects him. "And how would you know."

"Same," Raven states.

"Just because SpongeBob said it, it doesn't mean it is so!" North all but shouts. Remembering too late that Luke is sleeping. "Stupid Russian," North mumbles before he sits back down next to Luke. He does not stir.

"Boys, now is not the time," I said. "Schedules will be made. Does anyone want the first shift?" I asked.

North looked up towards the group and said, "I do." Kota nods making a mental checklist for the already forming routine. Silence fills the room for a while with no sight of leaving, that is until Sean's pager goes off. His lips pressed together and brows furrowed he leaves the room after sparing Luke one last glance. Everyone starts to shuffle out of the room one after another. Leaving just North and I. North doesn't look away from Luke. North's black clothes are a stark contrast to the white hospital setting and Luke's pale skin. North has always been predictable in his anger, his guilt, and his silence. I study him. Shoulders hunched in, forearms on the bed as he grips Luke's hand with his own shaking hands, his knees against the bed. The shaking has controlled his fingers for a while now. He tries to hide it, but holding on tighter just breaks whatever false comfort he had.

"You will have to tell them," I state. North grunts.

"Not now," he says.

"Soon," I said. 

"Soon," he repeats. He does not move a muscle as I leave the room like the rest of them.

He is not going to tell them, I think. Knowing him he wouldn't ever tell them until he is on his deathbed, but I won't have that. We are a family and family sticks together no matter what. I don't know how Sean hasn't noticed the shaking in North's hands. I don't know how anyone hasn't noticed the way he is changing, though they have been preoccupied with this mission. But that is no excuse. I make my way down to the parking lot and unlock the car to head off to Ashley Waters Highschool.