Chapter Fifteen

Sang's Perspective 

A few days had passed since my time with Luke's family. I'm so glad he has gotten the family he deserved. Thinking back on it now as I eat lunch at school with the rowdy boys, it eases the ache in my heart knowing he is well cared for. 

"Sang?" Corey looked concern, "you doing alright?" He keeps his voice down as to not bring the attention of the rest of the group in this tiny office Mr. Blackbourne was given.  

"Yeah, just tired." I said. 

"You and me both, sweetheart." He scooches a little closer to me and leans on my shoulder, he breathes a sigh of exhaustion when I lean in too. Me and the guys have started getting closer over the long periods of time spent together. Turns out seven of the older guys in the group are teachers at the school and they account for most of my classes and the rest are students. Dr. Green as my Japanese's teacher, Mr. B as my violin teacher slash study hall, Marc for culinary arts, Axel for biology, Corey for math, Raven for P.E, and surprisingly enough, Brandon for English. It was overwhelming at first, but Luke was there holding my hand the entire time. 

The bell rings indicating the end of lunch and poor Corey startles awake. I hadn't even realized he had fallen asleep. 

"C'mon Mr. Henshaw, it's time for math." Cory grumbles and rubs at the bags under his eyes. Luke had told me their latest mission for the Academy was more stressful than most, but Corey and Victor seem to be hit the hardest. 

"Nooo!" Corey whines, seeming younger than his twenty-two years. I cannot help but giggle at his theatrics. 

"Careful Pookie, or I might need to administer the giggle cure," Dr. Green popped up out of nowhere and bopped my noise! I go cross-eyed staring at his finger. 

  "Dr. Green," Mr. B snaps at him. Corey and Victor are not the only ones at the end of their rope. Teenage corpses overdosed on drugs will do that to a person. It appears a drug problem has been circling Ashley Water's high school for a few months now and the boys were sent to put an end to it. That sounds good and all, but the boys need more concern for their own well being and not just my own. I swear over the last ten days each and every boy has texted or called me- with the phone Victor bought me- at  least five times a day asking how I was. Even Malcolm isn't this protective. 

The feeling of a warm hand in mine keeps me in the present as Corey guides me to his classroom with Victor, Kota, and Nathan trailing behind. The rest go different directions to their own classrooms. 

"What are we learning today, Mr. Henshaw?" I love calling Corey by his last name. It gets him all flustered and cute. 

"Today, we are memorizing the unit circle for an upcoming quiz," he answered, swinging our hands back and forth. 

"Sounds like a plan, Stan," I said, a little giddy for math, although sad I would have to let go of his hand soon. Living in Mal's pack growing up guaranteed physical affection twenty-four/seven.  

Corey's class went by smoother than most, but gossip of Friday Fall kept spreading from student to student. What was Friday Fall? And why did I have a bad feeling about this? I couldn't help the nerves I felt hearing about it and wrote a note to the kind girl sitting next to me, inquiring about Friday Fall and when it takes place. When I pass her the note she looks at the paper and frowned for a minute. She and I had gotten to hanging out together during P.E and I believe she said her name was Karen. She probably gets made fun of a lot for her name, so it's a good thing she has no self-confident issues, like, at all. In the locker room before and after class she has no qualms about stripping bare to change her clothes. Not many girls can say the same; not even I. 

She scribbled something back on the note and gave it back to me. 

Every year some of the jocks select a few students to toss over the school's second story balcony the friday before halloween. I don't know who they are targeting this year, but I do know Greg and Jay are in charge. You shouldn't worry. Rocky would not let anything happen to "Rocky's girl."  

The weird guy obsessed with me since the start of the school year might protect me from his equally weird friends, but my own friends didn't have the same protection. Should I tell Luke? I don't want to worry him for no reason and there was still weeks away until it was due to take place. I think I will just hold onto this for right now. With that thought, I stuff the note in the bottom of my book bag and focus back on Corey's explanation of the Unit circle. 

At the end of the school day the boys always gather out in the parking lot to divide up who rides with who on the way home and just as Kota is about to put me with Axel and Silas like as planned he instead sends me off to North's Jeep. Alrighty then. I shuffle my way over and go to open the passenger side door, but Nathan is already there and I really don't want to sit in the back. North had the leather changed for the back seats days ago, but fear isn't rational and each time I go to sit back there I freak out. I have not told anyone because it is stupid and passing time will make it lesson it's hold over me. Until then, I breathe slow and steady as I open the car door and crawl in. I strap in and do not think about where I am. 

"So Sang,"  Nathan starts, "in Corey's class you and that one girl from PE were passing notes." He wiggles his eyebrows. "Looks like you've got a friend." 

"Yeah, she's nice." 

"What were you guys passing notes about that had you both so concerned?" 

Ah, Nathan and his subtle ways. 

"Nothing much. She was talking about the school dance coming up and wanted to know who I planned to go with. When I explained that I did not know about the upcoming event she immediately tried to match me up with someone." That was believable, maybe. North kept his eyes on the road and Nathan wouldn't stop looking at me. 

"That's all?" he asked, probing. 

"Yes." 

"So, who do you plan on going with?" This one came from North. 

"I don't know. Karen suggest that I come with her and a group of friends and I thought that was a good idea. She is kind enough and funny. But not in a Silas kind of funny way more like she jokes at the expanse of herself." Nathan looks at North for a moment. 

"I'm sure you'll have a good time with them," he said. "Although, the dance isn't for months still and your arrangement may change." He sounded hopeful at the end. 

Does he want to go with me? 

"We're here." North was extra growly. 

I will have to think about this later, Mal needs me to come to the Den today to help with hunting.