Chapter Fourteen

Sang's Perspective 

I wake up to North standing in the doorway. Light seeping in from the hall to cast him in shadow. And I did the most embarrassing thing I ever could have done. I squeaked, then proceeded to fall off the bed and woke Luke up in the process.  

"What's going on?" Luke asked groggily. He stretches and climbs out of bed, then turned to North, "Where's Sang?"

"Down here," I said. He walks around the bed to the sight of me sprawled on the floor still wrapped in the duvet. He smiles but his confusion is clear. 

"What are you doing down there?" Luke helps me untangle the blanket. 

"Guess I rolled outta bed while sleeping," I mumbled. He just shrugs his good shoulder. 

"If you say so," he goes to remake the bed and I walked over to North. 

"Sorry Sang baby, I didn't mean to startle you," North said, sounding sincere. 

"That's okay, I know you didn't intend to," he watches my fingers as I push them against my bottom lip, "But why did you come by?" Luke has made his way over and waits for North's answer. 

"Just thought you'd like to know lunch was ready," he said. Luke smiled a teasing smile. 

"Depends on who made it," Luke said, a jab against North's cooking. Over the years 45% of our conversations had turned to Luke complaining about the vegetables he had to eat thanks to his younger brother, or the candy that was stolen. Now that one really got him going. 

"I did," North said, "And you will be coming down to eat," his voice had switched to that of a stern parent. 

"Sir, no sir," Luke shouted, pulling away from the door. North huffed. 

"Well, I am sure Sang baby would like some lunch?" North phrased it as a question. 

"Of course I would, Luke has only ever said nice things about your cooking." North's grin echoes my own. Luke frowned in my direction. 

"Like what?" Luke crosses his arms in a pout, but his smile gave him away. 

"Well, you almost always mention how he gave you 'so much' and you don't think you 'can eat anymore' despite your wish to 'empty the plate,'" I said, twisting his words from a particularly long conversation a few months back. North looked to me, surprised, although I do not know why. He as much as anyone knows how much Luke detests his food. 

Luke leans in close. "Traitor," he whispered, the heat of his breath against my ear sends shivers down my spine.  

I whispered back, "I don't know what you're talking about." I leave the room with North before he can respond. He trudges down the stairs behind us and each time I look back I cannot help the slip of a giggle past my lips. 

A few hours later the guys and I find ourselves huddled in the family room just hanging out while the boys take turns on the X box. At one point Corey -the twin with the happy eyes- asked if I would like to try, but I declined. Discovering the Television was enough to last me the day. That, and I could feel the tension in the room settling down. It appears some questions need answering. 

Kota was the first to break the silence as he sat a few seats down from me on the couch, "How long have you known Luke?" Something easy. I can do it. 

"About twelve years now, when I first joined Malcolm's pack." All he does is nod his head and smile. 

"Thank you." 

"No problem," I said, aware all throughout the conversation people were listening in. "Any other questions," I glance at the rest of the guys, wanting this over and done with. Unsurprisingly, Mr. Blackburne speaks up. 

"Where do you see yourself in five years? Ten?" Straight to the point, although I cannot blame him. What he's really asking is where do I see myself in five years with his brothers. Mr. Blackburne makes me nervous, but it is hard to fault a man concerned for his family. I take a deep breath to steady myself. 

"Hopefully, by then I will have been able to put myself in college and working towards my  business degree." Marc perks up at my answer and Brandon sets down his phone. 

Mr. Blackburne was at the edge of his seat when he asked, but he leans back now and waits. It's Brandon that asks, "what do you need a business degree for?" 

"I plan to own a restaurant. A nice one with fairy lights and greenery and my Grandma's recipes." A fond smile comes over me and I look to Luke knowing he would understand. 

"That sounds lovely." Mr. Blackbourne. 

"Thank you." 

Through this I noticed North had been awfully quiet. I know from Luke that it is not like him. I spot him in a corner, sitting on the couch as he stares at his hands; his shaking hands. Is he sick? I was about to turn to Luke and ask him quietly, but Mr. Blackburne caught my attention and shakes his head. I want to ask more, but it is getting late and I promised Mal I wouldn't be out too late. Not to mention school in the morning. 

I stand up from my seat. "It's been nice hanging out with you guys and I'd hate to cut it short, but Malcolm's expecting me home." 

Dr. Green walked over to me with a smile, "Goodnight, Pookie," he takes my hand in his and presses a kiss to my knuckles, "Dream about me while you sleep." 

"Dr. Green," Mr. Blackburne reprimands him, but I still grow hot with embarrassment. I still chuckle and give the flirt a hug and whisper in his ear, "Maybe I will," when I pull back Sean Green has the biggest smile plastered on his face.   

"I really must be going." 

I said my final goodbyes and walked out the door. Luke walked with me to escort me home.