Chapter Seven

North's Perspective

After getting freshened up in the shower I then went to make grilled cheese for my brothers and I. It is as I park my Jeep in the hospital parking lot that it occurred to me that I should have made tomato soup too. Grabbing the bag containing the food I caught a glimpse of the back seat. Blood still stains the leather no matter how many chemicals I have used in an attempt to remove it. It serves to remind me that I wasn't there. I wasn't there for Luke when it really counted and soon enough I will leave. By choice or by crook I do not know.

He should not have to see me like this. Not with all that he has been through. My brothers are going to all hate me. Silas already does, I can see it in his eyes. He is done with me. Done with all the problems I cause this family. I shake my head hard trying to rid myself of the thoughts that just will not leave. A headache forms from the actions. A pounding beat in my head. Fingers curled around the car keys with the food bag in the opposing hand. I slam the Jeep door shut with a bang startling the elderly man a few feet away. I grimace.

"Sorry!" I shouted to him. He waves me off and continues on his way. I walk in the reception area of the hospital acknowledging that desk lady before pressing the button for the elevator. With a ding the metal doors slide open allowing a person to hop off before I get on and press the button for the second floor. The elevator starts with a jolt before it starts its mechanical humming. The doors open once at the floor and I stride down the hallway looking for room 2778. I don't have to look very hard as Gabe's yelling can be heard from miles around.

"Oy! What do you think you are doing?" Gabe asked Luke. I rest my shoulder against the door frame. Watching what is about to go down with the rest of my brothers staying silent in anticipation.

"I could ask you the same thing. What are you doing walking on the ceiling?" Luke responds to Gabe. Now this question may seem weird, but Luke is on pain meds and is currently laying on the bed with his head hanging down the side. I am honestly not surprised.

"Get up you Fucker," Gabe said.

"No way," Luke said.

Gabe huffs before looking at the security camera as if he was on The Office. Now seems like a good time to intervene.

"Food," I said, walking into the room. Luke tumbles off the bed and onto the floor in his haste to get to the food.

I hold the bag away from Luke's reach, "Hold it. Where are your shoes, Lucian?" I asked him.

He points to the ceiling and says, "On the floor," before snatching the bag from my hands. Sure enough there they are, glued to the ceiling with their laces hanging down. I glare at Luke as he gulps the sandwich down. He runs away and hides behind Brandon. Coward.

I point up to the shoes, "When did this happen?" I asked, looking at Kota as he was the one to officially be watching Luke. He has a troubled expression on his face.

"I have no clue," he said. Mr. B then grabs the food bag away from Luke to distribute the sandwiches. We sit in silence for a while with only the sound of chewing to be heard when Sean's pager goes off indicating that he is needed somewhere in the hospital as most doctors are. He sighed, looked at his half eaten sandwich with a pout then dragged himself up and out the door.

"Well, that was dramatic," Luke said as he lay on the floor, feet on Gabe's lap.

"You're telling me," Gabe glares at Luke. Luke drops his feet from Gabe's lap before using his feet to push himself across the floor and away from the frustrated Gabriel. Luke is close to the door whispering," Nice doggy, nice doggy," the whole way almost out of the room until Sean stops his carefully planned retreat.

"Get up Luke. I'm busting you outta here," Sean said.

"Yes!" Luke shouted. Jumping up he exits the room leaving his shoes, sandwich, and stunned brothers in the dust.

"He's going to pop his stitches," I said as Sean and I trailed after Luke. Sean glances at me as he mentions the medical bag he keeps in Luke's car 24/7.

"Smart," I said.

"Practical," he said. Yes, yes it is.

"So Luke's all clear to head home?" I asked him.

"As long as he keeps up with his medication and doesn't move around too much he is cleared to go home," he said.

"Good, I don't think the nurses could stand us for much longer. Except Erica of course. That woman is a saint," I said.

"That she is," he agreed. "Although, I do have to say Luke has been healing at an accelerated pace when compared to his usual," he continued.

"You tracked his normal healing rate?" I asked.

"He visits me enough, so I might as well," he said a little on the sarcastic side. I go to respond to him, but am interrupted by Gabe coming up behind Sean and I to shout at Luke one more time, "get your goddamn shoes on!" Shoes in hand he shoves them into Luke's chest.

"How did you get the shoes off the ceiling?" Victor spoke up.

"Don't you fucking ask," Gabe said with a scowl then proceeded to sit in the car. As far from Luke as he could get. Victor raises his hands up in the universal, don't kill me sign before backing away and heading off to my Jeep, unlocking the door and situating himself in the passenger seat. Everyone finds their designated car ride home. I get in my Jeep and off Victor and I go. Fifteen minutes later the gravel of the house's driveway crunches against the tires of many cars. A few bangs, shouts, and curses later everyone is settled in the family room waiting for Mr. B to say what needs to be said, so they can head off to their desired destinations in the house shared between us all.

Mr. B is settled in his armchair book in hand. He glanced at Luke before starting, "Luke will be staying in Axel's room as he-"

"-No, he will stay in mine," I interrupted him. Mr. B is not pleased with me, but he understands why I act as I do.

"Very well, Luke will stay with North as he heals. Any objections?" He asked. Everyone, Luke included, shakes their heads no. Good. Mr. B opens his book to the marked page and we take that as our dismissal.