Chapter 8

Diablo POV

It's a good thing Monokuma lets us go outside at night. Now all I have to do is find that game and get that advantage. However, what Nagito told me was most confusing.

Flashback

Nagito: Oh Diablo, you're here?

Diablo: Yeah, I'm sorta hiding from Mahiru. She basically scolded and lectured me for the night and the morning. I overheard her asking Hajime if he's seen me. So I decided to hide.

Nagito: I see.... Well she is troubling to deal with. I'm sure you've seen her soft side when you're alone.

Diablo: No I haven't. 

Nagito: Huh? That is quite strange considering her.

Diablo: What do you mean?

Nagito: You seriously don't know?

Diablo:....?

Nagito: Ah nevermind, anyways, what was she scolding you about?

I explained to Nagito about the motive.

Nagito: Ah, I see. So everyone decided to ignore the motive, apart from you, right?

Diablo: I need to get that advantage so I have a better chance of winning this killing game.

Nagito: Ahahaha! Yes! Exactly! When there's a chance to take control, I knew you of all people wouldn't back down! You face the despair head on for control! As expected of the ultimate puppeteer! 

Diablo: Ok....

Nagito: However Diablo, I do have one complaint about your choice. 

Diablo: What would that be?

Nagito: You shouldn't use the motive to win the game. This despair should be a stepping stone for hope, so we can bond together!

Diablo: But.... if you wanted us to bond together, then shouldn't the motive be enough.

Nagito:....While I do see where you're coming from, in my eyes, they're not enough. Ultimates like you are my heroes. In order for you guys to become stronger, you all need to face the toughest challenges. Motives like those are for ordinary people without talent.

Diablo:....Nagito, if you hate us and want to kill us, I won't judge.

Nagito: No, I really look up to you guys. All I want is to become the stepping stone for the one true hope. Wouldn't you agree?

Diablo: Ngh!

Nagito: Are you ok?

Diablo: Y-Yeah, it's just that the words hope and despair brings up a disturbing nostalgia to me. I don't know why though.

Nagito: So you had experience with both?

Diablo: Not that I know of. As far as I know, hope and despair can just fight each other without me. If I wanted to join one's side, then I would ask them.

Nagito: So you just want to live your life. I see. Well I wouldn't want to stop you. I just want you to know that you're allowed to kill me if you so like it.

This guy is totally insane.

Diablo:...... I'm gonna go now.

Nagito: Wait, before you go, I need to ask you something.

Diablo: As long as it has nothing to do with my multiple personality disorder, I'm all ears.

Nagito: I was wondering about how you got to escape. Then I remember the person that came out before you. Did you use her to get you out somehow?