Chapter 2

"Captain, there's someone here to see you." Maxis picked their head out of the reports to see their subordinate in front of their desk.
"Hmm? Yes, I'll  be there in a minute." They stacked all of the papers together and sat them on their desk. They sighed and stood up, stretching their arms into the air. Lightly they shook their head back and forth, feeling their short sandy hair brush against their long ears. 

As the subordinate left the room, they walked around their desk and straightened their nameplate. 'Maxis Forast,' it read. 'Captain of the Hunters.' Feeling confident they strutted out of the room, bumping into someone on the way out.
"OMG! I'm so sorry, are you ok?" Maxis looked up at the stranger's face and was taken aback.
"Uh- uh y-yes I'm fine."
"Ok, now I am so sorry but I have to run. Places to be and such!"

Maxis rose from the cold Academy floor, using the wall outside their office for balance.  They began brushing the dust off their brown pinstriped pants and combed a hand through their newly dishevelled hair.  Having been slightly thrown off their rhythm by the interaction, they made their way towards their class.  This being their first year teaching, they are determined to make a lasting impression on the students and board advisors.  Getting the board advisors not so easily earned approval could mean great things for the future of Maxis' career. Reviewing the extensive material they would have to be teaching in just a few short minutes, they found themself in front of 'Hunter training 701'.  They take one last deep calming breath, releasing all doubts and insecurities along with the exhale.  The knob turned and the Captain of the Hunters entered the classroom.

"Good morning class," they spoke, their arrival brought a deafening silence over the room.
"I am your new professor Mx. Forast."
They quickly surveyed the many young applicants who had qualified for the final class.  Among the sea of faces, they spotted one they recognized.
"Places to be, indeed." They thought to themself. They saw the eyes grow of the student and slightly chuckled to themself. Although it came out more as just a heavy breath. They walked to their desk and began gathering the notes they had made. 

As they walked back to the front, they saw two people whispering in the back.
"Would you like to share your conversation with the class?" They asked, writing their name, and pronouns on the board. "N-no Mx."
"I'm sure it was quite riveting. Please do."
"U-um w-well there are s-some people who say you're a Pixie gone good."
A look of disdain grew on their face as they attempted to calm themselves.
"I am a Fairy. There are no Pixies that went good. That is why if you see a Pixie you are immediately expected to capture them. Now how do we differentiate between a Pixie and a Fairy? Uh, you in the back. With the dreadlocks." 

The student from this morning looked a little wide-eyed but quickly regained composure and replied,
"Well, Fairies and more humanoid. The only differentiating thing is that they have pointed wings on their back. Plus they have long ears that curve down towards the tip. Whereas pixies have coloured skin, hair, and have butterfly wings. However, most have their wings removed nowadays to blend in with the different races. But one way you can identify them is that they have 4 fingers. Unlike the Kohnint, which have five, and the Twaryl, which have six." Maxis nodded and wrote that down on the board.
"Very good...."
"Oh uh, Pinx Alburwood. She/her."
"Very good Ms. Alburwood. Now moving on. Today we are going to be reviewing the known races of Madrid, plus their strengths, weaknesses, and habits. I expect a full page of notes by the end of class. On my desk." They turned back to the board and began writing.
"I'll show those board members. Just because I'm not very experienced doesn't mean I don't have the skills to be a great captain and teacher!"

"The first race we will be reviewing is Spheeds.  Now Spheeds have long tails which means they have impeccable balance.  If you ever have to combat with a Spheed, know that knocking them over is not a likely outcome.  If you are a Spheed use this to your advantage."  They took the powdery chalk in their left hand and wrote 'Spheed' with the predetermined subcategories underneath on the large board.
"Along with this Spheeds have night vision.  If you are fighting in a dark area, a Spheed will have the upper hand."  Once they had finished in the Strengths subcategory they moved on to weaknesses.

"During a fight, knocking out a Spheed is the most accessible option.  A swift blow to the back of the skull is a nearly sure-fire way to do so.  This area is highly sensitive for it contains many nerve endings.  So if you are a Spheed you must always protect the back of your head." They jotted this down and moved to the next category.
"The ears of a Spheed will twitch when the individual feels threatened.  The brain does this to prepare and heighten their senses." The sounds of scribbles on parchment filled the air.  Once the sound had hushed, they continued.

"Fairies, as Ms. Alburwood mentioned, have wings." They flapped their own slightly as if to demonstrate. "As a fairy flight is your greatest strength.  Fighting in mid-air is the real challenge."  A light chuckle came from the crowd, mostly from fairy students.
"However the weaknesses of a fairy's wings can be exploited.  Hitting a wing, whether it be with an object or your own hands, will bring them down or prevent them from taking flight for a short time."  Maxis couldn't help but crack a slight smile at the concentrated looks the budding learners of their class held.  They returned to the lesson soon after.
"Fairies are extremely loyal.  It is this intense devotion that makes them such trustworthy Hunters and informants."  They turned around to see a certain human's hand in the air.

"Yes, Ms. Alburwood?"
"Um, yes I'm just curious as to how a ripped wing would affect a fairy."
Maxis had to admit she had the Hunter spirit.
"A ripped wing can be healed if it receives medical attention within the next two days, but if not then it will lose its function." 
Pinx nodded to herself and recorded this on her parchment.
"Thank you, Mx."
"Of course, now if you have no other questions-"
"I do." She interrupted them. "Have you ever ripped your wing?"
They sighed somewhat lowering their head before responding.
"That information is not important to the subject matter, Ms. Alburwood. Please only ask questions related to this class."
"Right, sorry I was only wondering,"  she replied, returning to her notes.

Word count: 1150

Other Author:
ukulelefan334 (Go follow them!)