Chapter 5

Maxis felt their face melt into an expression of terror. They looked over to Pinx, who had become wide-eyed. They ran up to the student and asked, "What did you say?"The nurse pushed them away saying, "Mx, I ask you to refrain from touching them as they are in distress." They pulled away, with their hands up, but then moved slightly closer.

"I'm so sorry, but you said there's a Pixie on the Akibrus Academy grounds?" The student nodded slightly and Maxis turned even paler as they sprinted towards the exit, leaving Pinx with no one to put them back into her bed. Taking this opportunity, she got up, and swiftly changed into the gym outfit that the hospital had left on the bathroom sink.

She followed Maxis out of the hospital, slightly behind them, so as not to alert them. As she neared the school, she saw people running from the building. In the distance, she smelled a faint trace of smoke. Pausing, she looked up at the building and her face fell. She saw small traces of smoke in the skyline, and the dim glow of the fire from the windows. Looking ahead, she searched for the Captain, only to see them going into the building through the main entrance. As she followed them into the building, she broke down into a coughing fit as she was assaulted with a face full of smoke.

She, however, instead of leaving like a normal mortal being, decided to follow Maxis farther into the building. As she weaved through the wreckage, she felt the searing heat of the fire to the sides of her. She was still doing her best to follow Maxis but was falling behind. It was obvious that Maxis was more qualified to be in here. Why had she gone in again? She couldn't remember. Everything was kind of fuzzy right now.

She walked down the hallway, hearing small grunting noises coming from in front of her. As she turned the corner, she saw Maxis pushing at a closed door. As they stopped for a second, they saw Pinx standing there, just looking at them.
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?! I THOUGHT YOU WERE AT THE HOSPITAL!"
"I-I left."
"OBVIOUSLY! WHAT I'M ASKING IS WHY?!?"
"Um, I don't really remember. Everything is kinda fuzzy right now."
"Oh *uck me, of course it is. Uh, ok. Come help me open this door real quick and then we'll get you out of here."
"O-ok. What's behind there?"
"Well for one, there seems to be someone in here. Second, it's my office with lots of stuff I need to save."
"Oh alright," She said as she shoved the door open in one try.

Dumbfounded, Maxis just stared at her in shock. Pinx just stared back with an equally blank face. Maxis shook their head and ran into the room. In the corner of the room stood one of the hunters. Their eyes widened as they saw Maxis and Pinx walk in. It almost might've seemed as if there were slight halos around their heads.

Maxis walked over to them and helped them to stand up. They motioned for Pinx to come over and help them. Leaving the hunter to Pinx to handle for a second, they ran over to their desk and began vaguely sorting through the papers on the desk, shoving them into the bag they had brought in. They walked back over to Pinx to assist with carrying the hunter. They winded back through the fiery maze, to the entrance. Maxis already predicted the press and began preparing for the questions in their head. So much so that Pinx had to alert them that they were at the entrance.

As they brought the hunter out, they were swarmed with reporters asking for a comment on the situation. They politely pushed the microphones and people away as they tried to reach for Pinx's hand to lead them out of the crowd. Wait, where is Pinx? They looked back to the door of Akibrus and saw Pinx standing there with a vacant expression. They began to walk to them to lead them out.

Suddenly a loud crack filled the air as screams arose from the crowd surrounding them. Their eyes darted up as they saw the gable roof of the entrance begin to crack and small fragments fell onto Pinx's head as she looked up confusedly. Maxis screamed to get out of the way, but it was too late. The roof was on the verge of falling. Maxis started sprinting towards her when they heard the final crack of the gable roof. It was as if the world slowed down. But this was different. It wasn't the full or new moon. Maxis couldn't slow time tonight.

But they could see the rocks starting to gain momentum towards Pinx, ever so slightly. They could see the reporters reaching out for them. They could feel their legs and arms stretching out so as to push Pinx out of the way. They could feel every centimetre of their skin come into contact with Pinx's. And they could feel them hit the floor of Akibrus. Then it was back to normal. I mean, other than the fact that they were trapped inside of a burning building. As they rolled off of the other, they groaned slightly. They stood up, lifting Pinx as well.

"We have to get going, now. There is an alternate exit on the other side of the school."
Pinx nodded slightly rubbing their eyes. Maxis grabbed her hand and began moving through the maze of Akibrus. Once familiar hallways, transformed into dangerous, strange walkways illuminated in ways that shouldn't be possible. Having to avoid previously safe halls, Maxis worked with what was given. After about five minutes of walking into dead ends and loops, Maxis realized they were not getting out of this without help.

Word count: 984

Other Author:
ukulelefan334  (Go follow them!)