Chapter 8

Maxis felt the uncomfortable feeling of shame and fear coursing through them. Why did HE have to be here?
"Well hello, Maxis. How have you been?"
Maxis looked down in shame, Attempting to hide their shocked, wide-eyed face.

"What? Don't like me anymore? I remember when we were the best of buds. Can't you picture it now? Those cold nights? The small bump you were convinced was a secret panel? Oh jeez. You pried at it for so long until it finally came off. Turns out it was just a wall. I laughed so hard at you," he laughed lightly as if they were good friends sharing a small laugh. But it just felt like he was poking fun at them.

"I'm sorry, but who are you?"
"How rude of me. My apologies. I'm Gethin Pendry. He/him. I'm an old friend of Maxis here. Oh, we have so many memories. Like that one blanket we always shared, the long night talks we had. That night you tol-"
"Shut up," they said, cutting him off. "You don't get to talk about any of that. You don't get to laugh about it like it's three years ago."
"Oh, Maxis you wound me. What did I ever do to you?"
"You know exactly what you did. Almost everyone does."
"Hey, you don't need to be so rude. I was just making conversation. You know I haven't seen you in three years. And I obviously can't go talk to you outside anymore."
"And That's Your Own Fault!"
"Hey, hey calm down darling. No need to get so upset," he said floating up to them. He put a hand under their chin and said, "C'mon you know you've missed me."
Suddenly, he went flying back and crashed into the stairs.

Standing in front of Maxis, Pinx crossed her arms and glared at Gethin.
"What is your problem?!" Gethin got off of the stairs and floated over to her.
"You are my problem. I don't know who you think you are but you are not showing the correct amount of respect to the Captain of the Hunters."
"Captain, huh? You always were a nerd. Listen, I'm just trying to chat with my friend here. No disrespect."
"That's a lie. You and I both know it. They know it too. Now if you'll excuse us, we have a burning building to leave."
"Go right ahead. Wait, what?"

Pinx grabbed Maxis's hand and quickly went down the stairway. In the distance, they heard Gethin yelling after them to explain. Instead, they just ignored him and kept walking. They walked in silence for a bit, with Maxis leading the way. But after about five minutes, Pinx asked, "Who was that?"

Maxis stopped walking and thought for a moment, but after a second they resumed walking and said, "You heard him. Gethin Pendry."
"He's obviously someone to you. So if you're willing to tell me, I'd like to know."
Maxis stopped out again and started laughing. It was quiet at first but grew after a couple of seconds. Then, it quieted just as fast. "You really have the inquisitive spirit. Let's make a deal. When we get out of here, We're gonna probably be rushed to the hospital and such. After we get checked in, I'll tell you. Deal?"
"Sounds good to me."
"Great."

The two walked for a while longer, getting used to the cold stone floor on their bare feet. Then they came up to another door.  Maxis opened it and all at once, they were outside.

Pinx didn't know where exactly but she trusted Maxis to lead them out of here. They grabbed a root on the short dirt wall before them and hoisted themself up. They let down a hand and Pinx grabbed it along with another root and pulled herself up as well.

"Oh my Goodness, I can't believe that just happened," Pinx said while standing up. She waited for Maxis to get up and leaned against a tree for support.
"Yeah me neither," Maxis added. They walked in front of her and gestured for her to follow.

After walking for less than a minute they came to the field in front of what's left of Akribus Academy. Hundreds of people were gathered in it along with ambulances, News vehicles and fire trucks. Some were crying, others screaming hysterically, and a few just stared blankly at the smouldering mess the firefighters no longer had to hose. The sky was dark and Pinx wondered how long escaping had taken them. Before she could ask Maxis grabbed her by the shoulders and escorted her to the nearest ambulance.

"Hello?" They spoke causing one of the paramedics, who seemed to be going through first aid kits with a checklist in hand to look up.
"Hello, can I help you?" They responded looking the fairy and human over.
"Yes, this student sustained a head injury before having to flee the building and she needs to get to a hospital." They informed the paramedic.
"Of course but you'll have to wait for another ambulance to come back, this one has been strictly designated to healing small cuts and burns as well as medical examinations." They told Maxis.
"Alright, we'll wait. In the meantime what do you think you could do about this." They pulled up their pant leg to reveal a 3rd-degree burn the size of Pinx's forearm. She immediately went into panic mode.

"What?! When did you get this?! Have you been walking around like this this whole time?!" She yelled. Maxis calmly answered her questions.
"I got it when I jumped in to save you and don't worry I put a numbing hex on it before we went into the secret passage. The paramedic will heal it and I'll be fine."
"Actually," the paramedic interjected, deciding not to question everything else, "That burn is pretty serious and it looks like an infection could be starting. You need to get to a hospital." The paramedic then went on to explain the procedures Maxis would have to follow.
Maxis turned to assure Pinx everything would be okay.

"Well that's not such a big dea-" They stopped as they realized she wasn't there. They looked around but soon spotted her talking to a Kohnit student. As they walked up to them Pinx started to sway slightly before fainting into her shocked friend's arms.

Word count: 1054

Other Author:
ukulelefan334 (Go follow them!)