Chapter 12

(this chapter contains possibly triggering content. If you need to, step out of the story at any time. Don't push yourself and stay safe)

"Rise and shine." Pinx groaned at the overused phrase and held her pillow over her head.
"Don't worry I have the lights off and the drapes closed. With your head injuries, you shouldn't be exposed to too much light. You should be glad the medicine given to you in the ambulance was available, that's what allowed you to sleep."

Dr. Taw stood at the foot of the human's hospital bed and she removed the pillow from her face and slowly sat up.
"Good morning." Maxis was sat up awake and alert. The near opposite of Pinx. She grunted in reply and wiped her eyes while yawning.

"Okay so Pinx," Dr. Taw began flipping through a stack of papers. "Today you'll be going for an official medical examination now that everything is less hectic and we'll determine the severity of your head injuries."

She turns her attention to Maxis and shuffles the paper around a little more.
"You will also be going for an examination on your leg and will most likely be prescribed some type of antibiotic cream." He straightened the papers out and Pinx raised her hand.

"You don't have to do that." Dr. Taw told her.
"Oh, okay. I just wanted to ask when I'm supposed to go."
"Yes, good question. You are scheduled for 9:00 and Maxis is scheduled for 9:05." Pinx looked at the clock to see it was 8:46 am already.
"Oh, so should I start preparing or something?"
"Well there's a hospital gown  for each of you on the counter there and you can use the curtains as a divider." Maxis stood and grabbed a hospital gown, Pinx did the same.

They pulled the curtain divider between them and within 5 minutes they were both dressed. Maxis sat back down on their bed and waited. Right away two of the hospital staff came in. They read the charts on the ends of each bed and handed Pinx a night mask. Maxis assumed this was to block out light. They wheeled her out of the room.
"Bye." She said as she was rolled by before pulling the mask over her eyes.
"Bye." Now they only had to wait for someone to come get them.

The minutes passed and what felt like 10 hours turned out to be 10 minutes. Maxis looked at the clock and gasped. How could have it only been that long? Their mind had filled with so many thoughts that they had to have only been there a second if the clock was right.

Still, the doctors seemed to be late. Images of things going wrong during Pinx's examination flooded their head as soon as she had left the room. The thoughts dissipated, however, when another doctor entered. A small clipboard was in their hand as the doctor continued up next to Maxis.

"Maxis Forast?" the doctor said. Maxis nodded slightly. The tone of the doctor was throwing them off. Exasperatedly, the doctor sighed and looked up from the clipboard. "I do not speak in nods Forast. I would like a clear indication whenever I ask a question."
Taken aback, Maxis slightly stuttered out yes as they felt the disapproving gaze from the doctor. "I'm Maxis Forast. They/them." The doctor scribbled something down on the clipboard upon hearing this. But hadn't they already known all of this? What was there to write from a name?

The discouraging thoughts filled their mind once more and threatened to fade into their vision. The doctor jolted them out of this course of action with a question.
"It says here that you're the captain of the Hunters?" The contempt was clear in the doctor's voice as their face turned into a slight snarl. With a confused brow, Maxis replied with a short and sweet yes. A small laugh came from the doctor, which only confused Maxis more.

"I bet you're pretty fit. I wonder how you would've gotten into this situation in the first place."
"A student had gotten trapped in the building so I went to rescue them."
"How......... heroic."
Maxis was getting more and more nervous as the doctor continued to become more ominous with each sentence. The doctor walked towards the door and whispered something. The doctor walked back to the bed and two more people in scrubs came in and pulled the bed out the door.

The bed twisted and turned through the halls to seemingly no destination. The halls became more and more empty until finally, they reached a small room. The bed was pushed inside and the doctor followed in shortly after.

"This seems mighty out of the way for an examination."
"I guess, but this is where they told me to take you." They turned towards one of the people in scrubs and said, "Go get my tools."
Maxis, now on high alert, noticed how beefy they were. They noticed the padded room. They noticed the one dim light bulb in the centre of the room. The walls and floor were white which brought attention to the large amount of dirt on them.

"This place doesn't seem as sanitary as it should be."
"Does it now?" the doctor questioned.  One of the supposed hospital workers came in with a bag of unorthodox tools and shut the door behind them with a clang. On the outside the door had looked wooden, but from the inside Maxis could see it was cold, hard steel. 

"What's going on here?" Maxis tried to get up from their bed but felt a sharp pain in their leg before being pushed back down. They punched someone in the face out of reflex, when they stood back up they could see it was their "doctor". It didn't take long for them to recover and swing for Maxis. 

Maxis ducked feeling the arm of their threatening captor graze their sandy hair. Maxis glanced towards the door, thinking this was their way out but was gravely mistaken as the others who had brought them here guarded the doorway. A tight grip caught a hold of their hair
"Running won't help you, captain." 
They bolted for the door only able to open it a quarter of the way before being pried from the handle and shoved into the opposite wall. 

Before the door could swing shut they yelled out as loud as they could.
"HELP! HE-" Their mouth was covered painfully with a gloved hand. Maxis struck the person in the shoulder blade causing them to drop their hand. A punch flew into their kidnapper's stomach who doubled over before tripping on Maxis's swift kick to their shin. The two people who had been guarding the door quickly abandoned their post in order to restrain Maxis.

Maxis stood their ground preparing themselves for the oncoming attackers. They were able to dodge the first guard's attempted tackle but a sudden impact to their side nearly knocked them to the ground. It was just Maxis's luck whoever they'd knocked down earlier appeared to be rising to their feet. Maxis could hold a 2 to 1 fight but 3 with their burn would be a challenge. The adrenaline was pumping through their veins, sweat dripping from their temple.
They took two strikes to the ribs but was able to elbow someone in the face.  As the person they'd hit stepped back Maxis could see the metal door swing wide open.

"Maxis! Get off of them right now!" Pinx ran towards one of the guards and shoved them from behind, into the wall. Taking the arm of another, she twisted it behind their back and used a metal tray on a table beside the hospital bed to knock them unconscious.

With those two guards out of the way, Maxis was able to swiftly fly a few inches off the ground and send their fist straight into the windpipe of the person who had claimed to be their doctor mere minutes ago. Pinx and Maxis rushed out of the room with a sense of urgency like never before. Maxis flew ahead of Pinx but held her hand to keep them together while escaping.

They ran through half a dozen hallways and staircases before reaching the hospital doors. Maxis kept flying until the hospital was far behind them. 
"Holy shit, Who was that?!" Pinx shouted, panting heavily.
"I have no idea, they posed as my doctors and took me to that room." Maxis sat in the grass still trying to process what had just happened.

"How did you find me?"
"I heard you yelling for help down the hall though no one else was there." Maxis thought on this for a moment.
"Could've been the psych ward. That would also explain why there was so much padding on the walls. Probably was abandoned because  it wasn't nearly as sanitary as any hospital should be."

"So what do we do now, we can't go back." Pinx looked to her left at the hospital building that was still visible in the distance. Maxis focused their gaze in that direction as well and sighed.
"I don't know."

Word Count: 1501

Other Author:
ukulelefan334 (Go Follow them they do SO much for this book!)