Chapter 14

(this chapter contains possibly triggering content. If you need to, step out of the story at any time. Don't push yourself and stay safe)

"Alright, team beta, we have a serious threat. We don't know how many people we're up against. There are a minimum of four people, but other than that, we have little information on the situation. You have your sedatives and paralysis powders. As always, lethal forces are a LAST resort but I doubt we're to capture them without a fight. Let's move out."

Getting into the car with their second, Maxis double-checked the supplies they had brought. Flashlight, sedatives, paralysis powders, spell chalk, binding rope, tape recorder, walkie-talkie. Everything seemed to be in place. They quickly arrived at the hospital and came in. The second went to talk to the hospital administration briefly before waving them forward to look through the hospital.

Along the way to where they remembered being taken, Maxis dispatched some of their team to look around but kept at least a fourth of the team with them. They received some strange and frightened looks from people in the halls. This however was the very least of Maxis's concerns.

They loosened the knot tied around the opening of a bag filled with black paralysis powder. Due to the muscle mass and weight the people who took them seemed to have, they felt a paralyzing agent as strong as this one was necessary.

They rounded the corner of the hall with a considerable number of trained hunters following their lead. The group stopped, and Maxis put their hand up in the air counting down from 3.  Once their final finger was down they burst into the padded room, charms, spells and potions at the ready. Maxis halted when they noticed the room was completely empty. Not only that, but it appeared to have been cleaned since just earlier that day when they were brought here.

Even though Maxis was sure they had the right room they checked once again to make sure. They pulled out their walkie-talkie.
"Feeble, did you find anything worth reporting?" After a moment their second responded.
"As a matter of fact, I think we may have. Though I feel it's better if you come and see this for yourself Maxis."
"Where are you?"
"We're in some sort of sub-basement, we unblocked the entrance and it can be easily spotted in the basement of the hospital."

Maxis wasted no time turning their group around and bringing them all the way down to the basement. The basement was large but a misc member of their team found the entrance in a corner of the room. There was a shelving unit filled with medical equipment that appeared to have been pushed aside next to the opening. Maxis crouched down and entered through the small doorway. They descended a flight of stairs and came to a dead-end.

Confused, they turned around on the spot to see if they had missed some sort of side door. Suddenly, the floor comes out from underneath their feet and they fall into some sort of dark slide. Once they reach the end of it they stand up on high alert. However, they were only met with the concerned face of Feeble.
"Sorry, I probably should've mentioned that." Maxis let out a half laugh, half sigh of relief.
"Yes, that would've been nice. What'd you find down here?"

Their second began to explain.
"Well we've done a sweep of the sub-basement and we believe-" A thud followed by a light groan pulled both Maxis and Feeble's attention to the beta team fairy who had just landed at the bottom of the shoot.
"You may want to move to make room for the rest of your team." Maxis tells them. They quickly moved out of the way, and more from Maxis's group began coming down the shute.
"Perhaps we should move to a less distracting area." Feeble suggested.
Maxis nodded and followed them to the middle of the extremely dusty room.

"As I was saying before," Feeble continued, "We believe this used to be a laundry room for all of the patient's used hospital gowns. If it is, it appears to be long forgotten. The washing and drying machines are all very outdated, and it's obvious the place hasn't been tended to in a number of years."
"That would also explain the delay on the laundry chute opening, the hinges must be rusty. Is there anything that leads you to believe this has to do with my attempted kidnapping?"
"We're working on scanning for any DNA at the moment but we did find that the dust on top of one of the washing machines was recently disturbed before we got here." They reached into their pocket and pulled out a clear bag with a small button. It had a strange symbol on the front of it.

 It had a strange symbol on the front of it

The symbol was unfamiliar to Maxis.
"We found this on the floor next to it and I'll be taking it back to check for prints."
"Well done, I'll send my team back up to look for any more strange activity and I'll stay down here with your group to look for more evidence." They turned to announce the order to their team before turning back to their second.
"There is another way up, right?" Feeble pointed to an old dark green door at the other end of the room.
"Perfect! Thank you Feeble."

They quickly gave the order and turned back towards Feeble. Feeble gestured them over to a corner.
"Do you have any idea what that pin could be Captain?" Feeble asked. Maxis shook their head. "No idea. I would have thought that it was either the Oteti or one of the major gangs." They paused for a moment to ponder what it could be. "I want it sent to the lab as soon as possible for any DNA."
Feeble nodded and immediately sent one of the other betas to get it there.

Maxis began looking around the room. Scanning the walls and floor. CRACK! Maxis whipped around to see where the sound had come from. A stone from the wall lay calmly on the ground in front of a very startled hunter.
"What happened?" Maxis asked as they strode up to the human.
"I-I don't know. I was just running my hand along the wall and I think one of my fingers went into one of the cracks and the rock came flying out."

Maxis' face morphed into an expression of confusion as they walked over to the crack. They reached for the flashlight to peer into the hole. As the light hit the hole, a blinding flash came from it. Maxis stepped back as an automated voice came from the hole.
"IDENTITY NOT FOUND," it rang out. "YOU HAVE, TWO, MORE ATTEMPTS." Maxis looked to Feeble for anything. Feeble looked just as confused before a face of panic set in. They began sprinting towards the door out of the basement as Maxis called out to her.
"Feeble! Where Are You Going?!"

They ran out of the room after them and saw her rounding the corner. They chased them through the hospital until they saw them stopped outside the doors of the hospital. Jogging up next to her, they made their confusion clear.
"Feeble, what's going on?"
"The pin. I was thinking maybe they would use that as the identification. I was trying to get to the recruit before they took it but I guess I was too late."
"Oh! That's genius! But I have photographic memory, why didn't you just ask?"
"I'm worried that it has to be perfect."
"Oh, Feeble, how you underestimate me. I am the Captain," Maxis said with a wink.

Feeble nodded and went to the front desk to get the materials required for Maxis's drawing. Maxis did a rough sketch and then outlined it in marker and quickly ran to the basement. A couple betas were in the surrounding halls looking for them but they were quickly gathered into the basement as the sketch was put to the test.
They held it to the opening in the wall and........."BEEP. ACCESS GRANTED."

Maxis let out a sigh of relief as they stepped back from the hole. A loud grinding sound came from the wall as it slowly moved from its spot. A huge hole stood in front of the Captain as they stared into the abyss. Cautiously, they took a step forward.

Word Count: 1396

Other Author:
ukulelefan334 (Go follow them!)