Monkey Bars

I ran over to the lot to see if Johnny was there. I wanted to talk to him ever since I talked to Two-Bit. I creeped around the corner to see Ponyboy sitting by a tree, reading a book.

"Hey, Pony," I said, walking up to him, "you seen Johnny?"

Ponyboy gave me a knowing look, and smirked a little. "Yeah, he went to the park. Said he forgot somethin' there a few days ago or something."

"Thanks, man," I said, turning around. I ran over to the park a few blocks away. Johnny was sitting on top of the monkey bars, smoking a cigarette.

"Hey," I called to Johnny. He looked up at me and smiled a little bit. I walked over to him and sat next to him, towering over the rest of the playground. "Johnny, we need to talk," I said, turning my head to look at him.

"Yeah, I know," Johnny whispered.

"Um... I'm sorry, I told Two-Bit what happened. About the... kiss," I mumbled.

"It's okay... I told Ponyboy, too," Johnny told me. Oh, that's why Ponyboy was looking at me weirdly today!

I giggled.

"Um... so... do you want to like... get back together or something--I don't know..." I stuttered.

"Do you?" He asked, looking at me.

"I mean..." I looked at him, smiling, "yeah?" I looked away, giggling.

I was looking away from Johnny, my eyes were glued to the swing set on the other side of the playground. I looked back at Johnny, he hadn't said a word. He leaned in and we kissed.

After I leaned back, I moved a little, so my legs were dangling off the side of the monkey bars. My leg slipped a little, and I fell off onto the wood chips. I rolled over onto my back, laughing. Johnny was cracking up.

"How did you do that?" Johnny asked, laughing.

"I don't know!" I shouted, cracking up.

Johnny hopped down from the monkey bars and held out his hand. I grabbed it, and he helped me stand up. We walked over to the lot and sat down by Ponyboy, who was still reading. Johnny sat down behind me and took all of the wood chips off of my back.

"Oh, hey guys," Ponyboy giggled, looking at us holding hands.

"Shut up," I laughed.

"So, uh... what have y'all been doin'? Or do I not want to know?" Ponyboy asked, laughing.

"Ponyboy!" I shouted.

"Well, this kid fell off the monkey bars," Johnny said, chuckling.

"How?" Ponyboy asked, cracking up.

"I don't know!" I shouted, giggling.

"You crazy kids," Ponyboy mumbled, laughing.