Johnny's Room

Two-Bit led us to Dally's hospital room. Me and Johnny ran over to his bed.

"Hey guys," Dallas said in a raspy voice.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Ah, yeah, I'm fine. My arm just hurts a little," Dally said.

"Which one?" Two-Bit asked, laughing.

"Shut up, Two-Bit," I said.

"How you kids doin'?" Dally asked.

"We're okay, Dally," Johnny said.

"Yeah. We just don't like getting shaken awake and hearing that our friend got shot," I said, glaring at Two-Bit.

Two-Bit just laughed.

"Hey, uh, you got a cancer stick?" Dally asked.

"Oh yeah, I got it," Johnny said, tossing him a box of Kools.

"Thanks, man. They won't let me smoke in here... again. So sick of these hospitals, man," Dallas complained.

"Well stop getting hurt," I demanded.

I slumped down in a chair, and looked around the room. It looked very familiar. "Is this the same room that--"

"Yeah," Johnny said.

"Oh my God," I said under my breath.

This was the same room--the same chair that I had sat in and told Johnny that I loved him a few months ago. The same room where he asked me to the dance. The same room that the doctor said Johnny was going to be okay.

Johnny sat down next to me and grabbed my hand.

Then, the rest of the gang started piling in the room. Darry ran over to Dally and frantically asked if he was okay. When Dally said yes and explained what happened, Darry began to lecture him. Ponyboy was reading one of the bulletin boards on the wall. Sodapop and Steve were messing around with the clipboard on the end of Dally's bed. Two-Bit sat in the chair on the other side of me.

"So I take it you talked to Johnny," Two-Bit whispered in my ear.

"Yeah," I said, smiling.

"So... you're back together?" he asked.

I giggled. "Yeah."

"Nice goin', kid," Two-Bit said, fist-bumping me.

Johnny elbowed me a little bit, to get my attention. He motioned towards Sodapop and Steve messing around with some papers in the corner. I laughed.

"I really like this room," Johnny whispered.

"Me too," I answered, giggling.

I looked away from Johnny for a second to see Sodapop staring at me. He looked at me, then looked at Johnny and gave me a knowing look, as if he was asking if we were back together. I nodded, smiling. Sodapop pumped his fists in the air, celebrating. I laughed, looking back at Johnny.

The nurse walked into Dallas' room and kindly told us to leave. I hate it when they do that. I just want to see my friend, but we did as we were told and walked out.