Seeing Red

Phil-

I woke up with a start. My head was spinning and I was sweating like crazy. My nightmares are back. It had been weeks since I last had a nightmare. I checked my watch it was 5:20. I sighed and got out of my bed. It was small and I was to big for it but it was all my family could afford. Since my dad, well lets call him my sperm donor, left our life has been turned to ruins. My mum could barely support my brother and I so she married my step-father John. He's basically a dirty, sleazy, drunk that takes the majority of my mum's small income and spends it on booze. He is the main reason we live in government housing.I usually go out every morning looking for a job but no one will hire a sixteen year old with no money and no experience.

I walked into the toilet doing my business, walked back into my room and started to get dressed. Once I was ready I went down the dust ridden stairs, trying not to my wake my step-father. I snuck out and walked through the rest of the government housing complex. Today was going to be hell. Not different to yesterday or the day before or probably even tomorrow, but there was all ways that glimmer of hope that seemed to work its was into my heart, to yet again be destroyed.

Two hours and five rejections later I found myself outside of school it was only 7:35 but school didn't open till 8. I looked up at the stormy sky and started to wondered away with no particular direction in mind. Fifteen minutes later I found my self completely and utterly lost. I am terrible with directions, and so I decided to be logical and start panicking. I look down at the ground and tried to re-trace my steps. So far, so good. I turned into a beautiful street and couldn't quite place why it felt so familiar. I put my hood on and pulled up my black skinny jeans and headed down the sidewalk.

I got to the end of the street and heard a voice shouting my name. 'No, I'm just delusional' I think. I barely got an sleep last night due to my nightmares. I shudder involuntary. I hear it again this time it's louder. “LESTER”. I slowly turn around but keep walking. I see a red jeep pulling up next to me on the pavement. I know that car. I turn back around and start running. I don't know where I'm going only that I must not stop. I can hear the chorus of laughter behind me and try not to let the tear leek out. I'm failing. My legs they're slowing. I stumble. They only laugh harder. The last thing I remember is hitting the concrete and seeing red.