the conversation

(A/N thanks for 20k views and 500 votes<3 also HAPPY DAY AFTER VALENTINES DAYYYY aka the day u spend crying while eating chocolate thinking about how single you are:D just me? oh...ANYWHO enjoy this chapter love u)

"M- mom?"

   George looked frightened, like he had just seen a ghost of his past--which he kind of did. His mother who abandoned him at not even 10 years old, was back to witness him surviving off of the air in the hospital while bruises seemed to be endlessly climbing upon his skin. His body was a fragile mess, while his emotions were also scrambled from the overwhelming sense of fear that struck his core. 

   While George was struggling to comprehend the amount of things that were happening, Dream took notice. He never knew what had happened to George's mother, but she was here now, standing in front of her bed-ridden son.

   He couldn't decipher the emotions on the brunette's face to be fear or joy.

   Clay walked over to the boy he loved, his hand scratching the back of his neck in anxiousness. He had no clue how to react, but he knew he had to calm George down somehow. The only thing he could think of, at that moment, was to take the smaller figure by the hand and trace circles with his thumb on the smaller hand. Their fingers meshed together like perfect puzzle pieces, like they were meant to be sewn together for life. 

   But that didn't matter at the moment.

   All that mattered was George, and his mother who abandoned him was standing in front of the group. 

   "George?" His mother spoke with tears spilling out of her eyes, which seemed to hold deep regret for her past decisions. There were so many emotions filling the tense air and it was very... unsettling to say the least.

   George couldn't decide on whether to be upset or not. Should he get straight into it and ask why she left? Should he greet her? What the hell should he do? Words were struggling to escape his lips as his mouth decided to stay shut as his body shivered at the cool air flowing through the vents. 

   "What the hell are you doing here?" Quackity questioned with confusion, a bit of anger peeking through his tone. He knew everything that had happened to George, so when he saw his mother, fury coursed through his veins. She had the audacity to come back and visit his son, only when he was on the brink of death? That is messed up.

   "I- I'm s- sorry I can g- go if George w- wants," The woman stuttered as she choked through tears. George was also teary eyed, but he was trying to be stern. He shouldn't let his mother just crawl back into his life, should he?

   "Clay, Alex, c- could you let me and my m- m- mother talk? P- please?"

   This response shocked all four that were in the room, including George himself. 

   "Are you sure?" Alex glanced at George with a worried expression drawn all over his face, but then glared back to the woman standing in the room, in which she had her lips parted in shock and her eyes were widened. 

   George nodded at his best friend and turned towards Clay, who still had his hand interlocked with his own. His heart melted at the touch, but he couldn't show it. He had feelings that weren't relevant, and they never would be relevant. The blond would never feel the same, and George had to learn to move on. He had to learn to heal.

   That didn't matter now, though. His mother was standing in the room, waiting to have a conversation with him.

   George gave one last nod of approval to his two best friends, his real family, and they left the room with worried expressions. The boys shut the door to give the pair their privacy, and as soon as they did, George broke down. All the tears that were being forced inside of his system spilled out, all the broken memories came flooding back. His mother watching him being beat by their father, his sister and mother leaving him to fend for himself, his sister dying, the car crash, every sad memory that he had pushed away was back. And it sucked. 

   His mother stood there, hesitating whether to comfort her own flesh and blood. She didn't know if it would help or make it worse, but she didn't care. She just wanted her son to feel better, to be better than her. 

   She quickly--well, kind of quickly-- walked to the edge of the hospital bed and wrapped her arms around the injured brunette. George quickly melted into the touch, and sobbed into her shoulders. Not only was he a touch starved, depressed teenager with parental issues, he was scared. He was scared she would just up and leave again once she figured out everything. He was scared his father would waltz back into his life once he found him again. He was scared of everything, including himself. 

   That didn't matter, though.

   All that mattered was George and that his mother was back. Was it permanent? George still didn't know. 

______________

   "The doctors called me, and- and they told me that you were in a coma... and they told me that- that you would most likely be brain dead by the- by the time I got here," Helena, George's mother, explained through broken sniffles. George struggled to comprehend the words, but it was okay. At least she was here now, right? 

   George nodded at the explanation, still not having said a word to his mother during this whole conversation. He was frightened that he would scare her away with his words. He lost his mother once, he won't lose her again. 

   But he needed to ask a question that would risk everything.

   He was willing to gamble everything to receive an answer. 

   "Why did you leave without me..?" George's voice was barely above a whisper, nearly voice-cracking at every word. Helena's heart broke at his tone along with the words. She never wanted to leave her own son... but she had to. For her and Callie's own good. 

   "You know your father and how he could get, George. I didn't- I never wanted to- to leave you-," She paused to try and steady her breaths, closing her eyes to block the tears from escaping. She didn't want sympathy; she didn't deserve sympathy. All she wanted to do was explain.

   And now she had a chance to do it. But she was afraid.

   Was she really willing to risk her son once again just to explain her past behaviors?

   "I never wanted to leave you, George. But, at that time, I knew you could withstand your father. Maybe not at that moment, but I had a gut feeling that you would grow up and learn to defend yourself, learn to heal. I didn't know whether me or Callie would be able to, but I knew you would. Plus, there was barely enough money to pass around for one of us, but I wouldn't abandon both of my children. I- I'm so sorry, and I know it seemed like I favored your sister, but I didn't. I thought what I thought would be the best for Callie and you. Does- Does that make sense?"

   No, it didn't make sense. 

   But George wasn't going to go around and say that. In a sense, he got it. He got why she trusted her gut, he got why she brought his sister with her instead of him, he understood why she did it.

   Her gut was wrong, though. George couldn't handle it.

   But it was okay, right?

   Everything was okay, at that moment. 

   Everything was okay, everything is okay, right?

   Wrong. 

(1308 words)

A/N hey y'all its me again... okay low-key just confessed my feelings to my best friend ahaha Rebecca if you see this hi lol...anyways HOPE U ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER low-key heavy dialogue and lowkey rushed but that's okay it's a new chapter still:) love you guys so so much<3 eat and drink something if you haven't already:)