Chapter 1

"Hey, Sunshine" A deep voice cut into Beau's thoughts, and a bright smile reached his lips.

Sunshine... A nickname Lukas had given Beau when they were kids. The constant smile and his bubbly personality Beau wore always gave him several nicknames. Happy, Sunshine, Sunny, Golden Boy... But Sunshine was the only one that ever stuck and Lukas never missed an opportunity to tease him with it.

"You're back" He quickly threw himself into the tall blonde's arms for a quick hug. His arms went up and around his neck while Lukas's tightened around him.

It was Summer, Lukas had just gotten back from camp. Beau was supposed to go with him, but a sprained wrist had gotten in the way and Beau had instead spent his Summer working on the farm. It wasn't his ideal Summer and he had missed Lukas, but it hadn't been so bad... Two months of Lukas being at camp was the longest the two had been apart for as long as they could remember.

Lukas pulled away with a shining smile. He was tall and lean with a wide and muscular chest. He had dimples and a pearl white smile. His soft, ivory skin and gorgeous pale eyes complemented one another. A blush had always seemed to linger on his face and he had messy blonde hair... It always took everything in Beau to keep from playing with it.

"We missed you at camp" Lukas chuckled. "I even got everyone to sign you a get-well card... Although your wrist looks just fine now" He extended a simple homemade card that was decorated in signatures of every color.

Beau felt his heart slam in his chest as he quickly accepted it... Everything Lukas said or did sent butterflies to Beau's stomach. Ever since they were kids, Beau had been undeniably in love with his best friend... But Lukas had never reciprocated those feelings. Of course, Beau had never asked either...

Lukas was the son of a Preacher... A Preacher who was very vocal about how same-sex relationships were a sin. Beau had always known he was attracted to guys. He had never understood the appeal of girls in any way besides plutonic. But he couldn't exactly be vocal about his feelings in such a closed-minded town. So instead he'd just choose to stay quiet... Move away to a big city when he turned eighteen and hopefully meet someone who could love him back.

"Thanks" Beau flipped open the card and pretended to read over each signature but in reality, he was just looking for the familiar sloppy cursive. His heart leaped in his chest as he spotted Lukas's signature and he shut the card. "How was camp?"

"Honestly kinda boring without you" Lukas shrugged as he leaned against the post of Beau's family's barn. He had caught Beau halfway through his chores which Beau was gladly ignoring at the moment. "I ended up bunking with Arnold" He wrinkled his nose slightly in distaste.

"I bet the two of you just loved that" Beau laughed as he tried to picture the red-headed boy and Lukas trying to get along. The two had been friends up until a string of very competitive football and soccer games.

"There's that laugh..." Lukas let out a long sigh. "I can't tell you how much I missed you, Beau" Of course Beau's heart was practically dancing at this point. He tried not to read into things... He tried to remember that Lukas didn't have those feelings got men and that he was just being friendly... But sometimes Beau's mind liked to play tricks with him and toy with the possibility of Lukas actually liking him.

"I've missed you too" Beau sighed. "I love my sister and all, but I can only watch so much Riverdale before I lose my mind" He chuckled before he returned to shoveling hay into one of the stalls. Lukas only laughed and Beau slowly got back into the motion of his chores. That was the best part of their friendship. That they didn't have to talk to enjoy one another's company... They could sit in silence for hours and leave with a smile.