Chapter 8

The next few days went by almost robotically. Beau had cried... A lot. His mother had excused him from chores and had even tried to go get Lukas herself. But of course, Mr. Edwards was guarding the door like a dog. The days stretched out and felt never-ending. He had called Lukas about a million times only to reach his voicemail. Beau's hands shook as he dialed the number for the fifth time in the past hour. His foot bounced nervously as he prayed for Lukas to answer.

That was something Beau seemed to be doing a lot lately. He had never prayed so much in his life... Beau was religious and came from a very religious family and town. But he had never felt the same connection to God as everyone around him. Lukas would talk about God like he knew him personally whereas Beau was beginning to lose faith in him. He wondered what kind of sick and twisted God would give him such a perfect moment with Lukas only for it to be ripped from his hands.

Beau's heart sunk with each ring. Every small pause between them gave him hope that someone had finally answered but of course, it was false hope. He let out a long sigh as the fifth ring went by meaning he'd reach Lukas's voicemail. By now he had it memorized...

"Hey, this is Lukas. I don't check my phone often, but if you leave a message I'll do my best to get back to you"

Beau swallowed a lump in his throat and quickly shut off the phone. He wrapped his arms tightly around Hamilton as he stared at a blank patch of wall in his bedroom. Lukas's hoodie was wrapped loosely around him and still smelt like him. It was almost refreshing as it was heartbreaking...

At this point, he felt pathetic. Pathetic for sitting around for a phone call he knew would never come. Pathetic for having his little sister do all of his chores for him. Pathetic for not being able to think about the events that took place in the barn without crying.

Maybe Mr. Edwards was right. Maybe he was sick and had tainted Lukas. Maybe he could be saved and maybe everything Beau had believed about God was wrong. Maybe he truly was a sinner and deserved hellfire. And maybe he had only dragged Lukas with him.

Another sob escaped Beau's lips and he quickly buried his face into the stuffed pig. The smell of plastic and old metal overwhelmed him, but he didn't mind. All he wanted was Lukas and Hamilton was the closest he was going to get.

"Hey, Beau" His mother's gentle voice called as the door cracked open. "I know I told you I wouldn't bother you today but Lucy did something to her wrist while working in the barn so we're going to drive down to the hospital to get it figured out... Do you think you could finish everything?"

"Um... Yeah," Beau mumbled. He stumbled out of bed not bothering to change out of basketball shorts and Lukas's baggy hoodie. His mother spared him a sympathetic stare and quickly pulled the boy into her embrace.

"It gets better Beau... It gets a lot better. I promise you that" She whispered. "Lukas will be okay and he will be home and safe sooner than you think" Beau nodded despite not believing her. He knew Lukas better than anyone and if Lukas thought that Beau and his family were at risk he would go through hell to keep them safe. 

"Thanks, Mama" Beau whispered. He pulled away and headed downstairs trying to stay focused. His mind kept trying to wander to Lukas. Sometimes wondering if he was okay, other times replaying the argument with his dad. Mostly he just pictured Lukas's face. How broken and defeated he had looked and sounded.

Beau bit down on his lip as he reached the barn. His heart ached as he spotted the hay room. He had more memories than he could count in there. But the best few all involved Lukas... He would take Lukas by the hand and pull him inside for any sort of privacy. They would kiss for a while but it never felt like enough. And finally, they would lay out on the hay and talk for hours...