Chapter 3

Beau stared up at the ceiling in disbelief. Last night was all a blur... It all felt so unreal that Beau was almost certain it was a dream. He had kissed Lukas. And Lukas had kissed him back. It had been one of the best moments of Beau's life... All of the doubt and frustrations he had been holding for so long had melted away for a few short moments...

Sadly, their time together had been cut short by Lukas's father. He hadn't seen anything, but the moment Lukas heard his truck pull up he had pulled away and quickly rushed to finish his chores. Beau decided it would be best to leave and only exchanged a quick and lighthearted conversation with Mr. Edwards.

Mr. Edwards had always liked Beau. He had thought he was a good example and someone that would keep Lukas out of trouble. He was glad that his son had found what he believed to be a straight, white, Christian boy to be around. Beau had found Mr. Edwards to be a very determined and faithful man. And that was where the compliments ended.

Mr. Edwards was strict and cruel. He liked things a very specific way and had always been very cold toward Lukas. Beau knew that Lukas hated talking about his dad, so he wasn't exactly sure what had been the turning point in their relationship. Beau never hated anyone... But if he did, it would be Mr. Edwards. He was against everything Beau believed in and that made conversations with him difficult.

Beau sighed and sat up from his bed. He wanted to see Lukas again, but he was terrified too. What if Lukas had only kissed him out of pity or to shut him up? What if Beau was just going crazy and it wasn't real? What if Lukas regretted it and wanted nothing to do with him anymore?

Beau hesitantly climbed out of bed and changed out of his pajamas and into simple jeans and a t-shirt. He wanted something more... He didn't know what he wanted to dress like, but he knew that his current clothes were uncomfortable. They didn't look right on his skin... They didn't look like Beau.

Beau sighed and rushed to his bathroom to finish getting ready. He headed downstairs afterward to find an array of muffins strategically placed onto a plate. Without much thought, Beau grabbed one and took a huge bite as he headed out to the barn to get started on his chores.

Beau wrinkled his nose slightly in distaste as the smell of manure lingered out from the barn. He groaned and shoved the rest of the muffin into his mouth before heading into the barn. First, he let the horses into the pasture before grabbing the necessary tools to clean the stalls.

After what felt like hours, all of the feces had been removed and Beau was already feeling exhausted. He hadn't exactly slept right last night... His mind was too busy buzzing with ideas and possibilities. But more importantly, it wouldn't stop reminding him of his insecurities.

"Hey, Sunshine" Lukas chuckled as he headed into the barn. Beau's stomach erupted in butterflies and he tried his best to swallow the lump in his throat. Lukas didn't exactly look angry. And he was here, so that was something. But Beau couldn't help being even a little upset.

There was nothing off about Lukas. He wasn't hesitant and didn't show any of the fear that Beau felt. Maybe the kiss meant nothing to him. Maybe he was just trying to forget it ever happened. Or maybe it never did happen. Maybe it had all been an all too vivid dream.

"Hey, Lukas" Beau forced a casual smile. His heart was slamming in his chest as the two boys stared at one another, completely lost for words. Beau eventually couldn't take the silence and spoke up. "Look, about yesterday... We can pretend it never happened if you want-" Beau began.

"Is that what you want?" Lukas asked. Finally, his relaxed imagine began to fall revealing a boy who was just as afraid as Beau... Maybe even a little more.