3 - KISS

GOLDEN
KISS

THE kiss was nothing like Kim had imagined and not in a bad way at all

THE kiss was nothing like Kim had imagined and not in a bad way at all. She always assumed her first kiss would be sold to Pacey during a game of truth or dare or some drucken senior who had no idea who she was. In reality, she never thought she was worth the fairytale type of kiss. And it was exactly that. 

Kim daydreamed about that kiss all night and eventually all morning too. However, her daydreams had to be put on hold as she started her shift at the icehouse. There was a momentary relapse of Justin filled fantasy which caused Kim to break three plates. After getting yelled at by a very pregnant and irritable Bessie, the noirette, decided to stay glued to reality for the rest of the day. 

The icehouse wasn’t overly busy, no different than normal. Kim whipped down tables and collected plates when she saw her brother and Pacey enter. She discarded the trash in her hands and went to take their order. “Our serving wench is here.” 

Kim scoffed. “Extra spit in whatever Pacey orders.” She fake scribbled into her notepad. 

“Of course this completely ruins my romantic plans with Jen this weekend.” Dawson complained as he would instead by shooting helmets of glory, the masterpiece made my Cliff Elliot. Kim already planned to be there as a member of the film club and cheerleading squad. 

“Jen’s not going anywhere.” Kim told him. 

Joey appeared at the girl’s side before sliding into the booth next to Pacey. It was typical that the girl couldn’t have five seconds with Dawson Leery. Where he was, so was she. It didn’t bother Kim in any way, she just found it amusing that Dawson was still completely oblivious. The entire town knew about the Potter girl’s crush by the end of sixth grade. “Forget wonderbra for a moment. Don’t you have to work on your own movie? What’s up with that?”

“Originally, I was going to do both. I was going to bridge fantasy with reality and prove that, yes, romance can be created.” Dawson raised his eyebrows at Joey. Kim and Pacey locked eyes to ask each other what the situation was. 

“What are you talking about, man?” Pacey decided to ask. 

Dawson fell back into his seat, with the smuggest grin plastered on his pale skin. “It’s the last scene of the movie. The monster’s dead. It’s the beauty that killed the beast, et cetera. Penelope, our heroine, says her final goodbyes to the beast. I was going to shoot it up at the ruins.”

“That’s trespassing,” Kim stated. 

“Just don’t get caught.” Kim turned to Joey who had just given her brother the worst advice imaginable. Almost as if she wanted the date to be a monumental disaster. 

“But it’s a perfect monster’s haven...lush and romantic.” The noirette tilted her head. Nothing sounded romantic about molded stone and wet grass. But, who was she to say? Dawson was the hopeless romantic and Kim was the cynical realist.